Wind energy feasibility study for city of Shahrbabak in Iran
AbstractClimate change, global warming, and the recent worldwide economic crisis have emphasized the need for low carbon emissions while also ensuring economic feasibility. In this paper, the status and wind power potential of the city of Shahrbabak in Kerman province in Iran was investigated. The technical and economical feasibility of wind turbine installation is presented. The potential of wind power generation was statistically analyzed. The mean wind speed data of three-hour interval long term period from 1997 to 2005 was adopted and analyzed in order to determine the potential of wind power generation. The numerical values of the dimensionless Weibull shape parameter (k) and Weibull scale parameter (c) were determined. Annual values of "k" ranged from 1.725 to 1.930 with a mean value of 1.504, while annual values of "c" were in the range of 4.848-6.095 with a mean value of 5.314 (m/s). With the average wind power density of 100Â W/m2, it is found that the city is not an appropriate place for construction of large-scale wind power plants, but is suitable for employment of off-grid electrical and mechanical wind driven systems. An economic evaluation was done in order to show feasibility of installing small wind turbines. It was concluded that it costs 18 cents for 1Â kWÂ h which is 5 cents more than the market price. Each turbine of 10Â kW can supply power for icebox, washer, water pump, TV, lighting, electrical fan, charger, and air conditioning units for small houses. In order to utilize wind energy in the region, it is recommended to install small size wind turbines for electricity supply of public and public buildings and private houses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alamdari, Pouria & Nematollahi, Omid & Alemrajabi, Ali Akbar, 2013. "Solar energy potentials in Iran: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 778-788.
- Lee, Myung Eun & Kim, Gunwoo & Jeong, Shin-Taek & Ko, Dong Hui & Kang, Keum Seok, 2013. "Assessment of offshore wind energy at Younggwang in Korea," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 131-141.
- Yaniktepe, B. & Koroglu, T. & Savrun, M.M., 2013. "Investigation of wind characteristics and wind energy potential in Osmaniye, Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 703-711.
- Tiang, Tow Leong & Ishak, Dahaman, 2012. "Technical review of wind energy potential as small-scale power generation sources in Penang Island Malaysia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 3034-3042.
- Khahro, Shahnawaz Farhan & Tabbassum, Kavita & Mahmood Soomro, Amir & Liao, Xiaozhong & Alvi, Muhammad Bux & Dong, Lei & Manzoor, M. Farhan, 2014. "Techno-economical evaluation of wind energy potential and analysis of power generation from wind at Gharo, Sindh Pakistan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 460-474.
- Abedi, S. & Alimardani, A. & Gharehpetian, G.B. & Riahy, G.H. & Hosseinian, S.H., 2012. "A comprehensive method for optimal power management and design of hybrid RES-based autonomous energy systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 1577-1587.
- Mostafaeipour, Ali & Jadidi, Mohsen & Mohammadi, Kasra & Sedaghat, Ahmad, 2014. "An analysis of wind energy potential and economic evaluation in Zahedan, Iran," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 641-650.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.