Wind energy as a potential generation source at Ras Benas, Egypt
AbstractAnalysis of the wind characteristics in Ras Benas city located on the east coast of Red Sea in Egypt using measured data (wind, pressure and temperature) and Weibull function were made. Statistical analysis model to evaluate the wind energy potential was introduced. According to the power calculations done for the site, the annual mean wind density is 315Â kW/m2 at a height of 70Â m above ground level. This station has a huge wind energy potential for electricity generation, especially during spring and summer seasons, comparing with some European countries. In addition, the monthly wind turbine efficiency parameter ([eta]monthly) has been calculated by using a commercial wind turbine 1Â MW with 70Â m hub height to help designers and users in evaluating the potentialities and choosing the suitable wind turbine for the considered site. The use of wind turbine with capacity greater than 1000Â kW at this station was recommended. Ras Benas station was selected to install 30Â MW-wind farm consists of 20 commercial wind turbines (Nordex S 77) with hub heights and Rotor diameter were 100 and 77Â m, respectively. This site has annual wind speed more than 9.8Â m/s at 100Â m height and enough area to locate these turbines. The estimated energy production using WASP Program of these wind farm was 130Â GWh/year. Furthermore, the production costs was found 1.3[euro]Â cent/kWh, which is a competition price at the wind energy world market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 8 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ackermann, Thomas & Söder, Lennart, 2002. "An overview of wind energy-status 2002," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 67-127.
- Ahmed, Ahmed Shata, 2012. "Potential wind power generation in South Egypt," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 1528-1536.
- El Alimi, Souheil & Maatallah, Taher & Dahmouni, Anouar Wajdi & Ben Nasrallah, Sassi, 2012. "Modeling and investigation of the wind resource in the gulf of Tunis, Tunisia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(8), pages 5466-5478.
- Ahmed, Ahmed Shata, 2012. "Electricity generation from the first wind farm situated at Ras Ghareb, Egypt," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 1630-1635.
- Dincer, Furkan, 2011. "The analysis on wind energy electricity generation status, potential and policies in the world," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(9), pages 5135-5142.
- Keirstead, James & Jennings, Mark & Sivakumar, Aruna, 2012. "A review of urban energy system models: Approaches, challenges and opportunities," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 3847-3866.
- Wu, Jie & Wang, Jianzhou & Chi, Dezhong, 2013. "Wind energy potential assessment for the site of Inner Mongolia in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 215-228.
- Ahmed, Ahmed Shata, 2011. "Investigation of wind characteristics and wind energy potential at Ras Ghareb, Egypt," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 2750-2755, August.
- Lee, Myung Eun & Kim, Gunwoo & Jeong, Shin-Taek & Ko, Dong Hui & Kang, Keum Seok, 2013. "Assessment of offshore wind energy at Younggwang in Korea," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 131-141.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.