Supply chain coordination and decision making under consignment contract with revenue sharing
AbstractConsignment contract with revenue sharing has been widely applied in many industries and is especially popular in on-line marketplaces. In this paper we consider a supply chain with an upstream manufacturer and a downstream retailer where a single-period product is produced and sold. The manufacturer chooses the delivery quantity and the retail price, and the retailer sets the revenue shares. Utilizing Nash bargaining model, a cooperative game model is developed to implement profit sharing between the manufacturer and the retailer to achieve their cooperation. When the manufacturer and the retailer are assumed to be risk-neutral, under a very mild restriction on the demand distribution, the decentralized supply chain can be perfectly coordinated and both the manufacturer and the retailer can earn more in cooperation. In this paper, we also analyze how the supply chain system parameters impact the optimal supply chain decisions and the supply chain performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 120 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Supply chain management Consignment contract with revenue sharing Coordination Cooperative game;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lode Li, 2002. "Information Sharing in a Supply Chain with Horizontal Competition," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm288, Yale School of Management.
- Ki-Seok Choi & J. G. Dai & Jing-Sheng Song, 2004. "On Measuring Supplier Performance Under Vendor-Managed-Inventory Programs in Capacitated Supply Chains," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 53-72, April.
- Porter, Michael E, 1974. "Consumer Behavior, Retailer Power and Market Performance in Consumer Goods Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(4), pages 419-36, November.
- Wang, Hongwei & Guo, Min & Efstathiou, Janet, 2004. "A game-theoretical cooperative mechanism design for a two-echelon decentralized supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 372-388, September.
- Hua, Zhongsheng & Li, Sijie & Liang, Liang, 2006. "Impact of demand uncertainty on supply chain cooperation of single-period products," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 268-284, April.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Dana, James D, Jr & Spier, Kathryn E, 2001. "Revenue Sharing and Vertical Control in the Video Rental Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 223-45, September.
- Li, Jianli & Liu, Liwen, 2008. "Supply chain coordination with manufacturer's limited reserve capacity: An extended newsboy problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 860-868, April.
- Holmberg, Pär, 2005. "Asymmetric Supply Function Equilibrium with Constant Marginal Costs," Working Paper Series 2005:16, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- McAdams, David & Malone, Thomas W., 2005. "Internal Markets for Supply Chain Capacity Allocation," Working papers 18179, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Lode Li, 2002. "Information Sharing in a Supply Chain with Horizontal Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(9), pages 1196-1212, September.
- Yunzeng Wang & Li Jiang & Zuo-Jun Shen, 2004. "Channel Performance Under Consignment Contract with Revenue Sharing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 34-47, January.
- Hua, Zhongsheng & Li, Sijie, 2008. "Impacts of demand uncertainty on retailer's dominance and manufacturer-retailer supply chain cooperation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 697-714, October.
- Giannoccaro, Ilaria & Pontrandolfo, Pierpaolo, 2004. "Supply chain coordination by revenue sharing contracts," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 131-139, May.
- Yue, Jinfeng & Austin, Jill & Wang, Min-Chiang & Huang, Zhimin, 2006. "Coordination of cooperative advertising in a two-level supply chain when manufacturer offers discount," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 65-85, January.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang, 2003. "Effects of a demand-curve's shape on the optimal solutions of a multi-echelon inventory/pricing model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 530-548, June.
- Martin A. Lariviere & Evan L. Porteus, 2001. "Selling to the Newsvendor: An Analysis of Price-Only Contracts," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 293-305, May.
- Dong, Yan & Xu, Kefeng, 2002. "A supply chain model of vendor managed inventory," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 75-95, April.
- Gérard P. Cachon, 2004. "The Allocation of Inventory Risk in a Supply Chain: Push, Pull, and Advance-Purchase Discount Contracts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(2), pages 222-238, February.
- Khouja, Moutaz & Robbins, Stephanie S., 2005. "Optimal pricing and quantity of products with two offerings," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 163(2), pages 530-544, June.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2001. "Contracting to Assure Supply: How to Share Demand Forecasts in a Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 629-646, May.
- Gümüs, Mehmet & Jewkes, Elizabeth M. & Bookbinder, James H., 2008. "Impact of consignment inventory and vendor-managed inventory for a two-party supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 502-517, June.
- Julie H. Mortimer, 2008. "Vertical Contracts in the Video Rental Industry -super-1," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(1), pages 165-199.
- Jiang, Li, 2012. "The implications of postponement on contract design and channel performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(2), pages 356-366.
- Yeung, Wing-Kwan & Choi, Tsan-Ming & Cheng, T.C.E., 2011. "Supply chain scheduling and coordination with dual delivery modes and inventory storage cost," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 223-229, August.
- Chen, Jing, 2011. "Returns with wholesale-price-discount contract in a newsvendor problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 104-111, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.