Integrated scheduling of handling equipment at automated container terminals
AbstractTo improve the productivities of an automated container terminal, it is important to schedule different types of handling equipment in an integrated way. A mixed-integer programming model, which considers various constraints related to the integrated operations between different types of handling equipment, is formulated. This study proposes a heuristic method, called multi-layer genetic algorithm (MLGA) to obtain the near-optimal solution of the integrated scheduling problem and an improved heuristic algorithm, called genetic algorithm plus maximum matching (GAPM), to reduce the computation complexity of the MLGA method. The performance of GAPM is also compared with that of the MLGA method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 112 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Norbert Ascheuer & Martin Grötschel & Atef Abdel-Aziz Abdel-Hamid, 1999. "Order picking in an automatic warehouse: Solving online asymmetric TSPs," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 49(3), pages 501-515, July.
- Meersmans, P.J.M. & Wagelmans, A.P.M., 2001. "Dynamic Scheduling of Handling Equipment at Automated Container Terminals," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-69-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Meersmans, P.J.M. & Wagelmans, A.P.M., 2001. "Effective algorithms for integrated scheduling of handling equipment at automated container terminals," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-36-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Van Hee, K. M. & Huitink, B. & Leegwater, D. K., 1988. "PORTPLAN, decision support system for port terminals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 249-261, March.
- Vis, Iris F. A. & de Koster, Rene, 2003. "Transshipment of containers at a container terminal: An overview," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Nishimura, Etsuko & Imai, Akio & Papadimitriou, Stratos, 2005. "Yard trailer routing at a maritime container terminal," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 53-76, January.
- Young Kim, Ki & Hwan Kim, Kap, 1999. "A routing algorithm for a single straddle carrier to load export containers onto a containership," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 425-433, March.
- Nishimura, Etsuko & Imai, Akio & Papadimitriou, Stratos, 2001. "Berth allocation planning in the public berth system by genetic algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 282-292, June.
- Longo, Francesco, 2010. "Design and integration of the containers inspection activities in the container terminal operations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(2), pages 272-283, June.
- Zeng, Qingcheng & Yang, Zhongzhen & Lai, Luyuan, 2009. "Models and algorithms for multi-crane oriented scheduling method in container terminals," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 271-278, September.
- Wu, Yue & Luo, Jiabin & Zhang, Dali & Dong, Ming, 2013. "An integrated programming model for storage management and vehicle scheduling at container terminals," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 13-27.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.