On the analysis of cross-correlations in South African market data
AbstractWe report briefly on an application of random matrix theory to the analysis of SA financial market data (An Analysis of cross-correlations in South African financial market data, e- print cond-mat/0402389). Correlation matrices C are constructed from 10 years of daily data for stocks listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange from January 1993 to December 2002. Spectral properties of C are tested against random matrix predictions. We highlight some quantitative differences which arise when treating prices as existing only when measured, as opposed to interpolating missing or illiquid trading days with a zero-order hold.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 344 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Random matrices; Cross-correlations; Finance; Emerging markets;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cheong, Siew Ann & Fornia, Robert Paulo & Lee, Gladys Hui Ting & Kok, Jun Liang & Yim, Woei Shyr & Xu, Danny Yuan & Zhang, Yiting, 2011. "The Japanese economy in crises: A time series segmentation study," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-24, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- D. L. Wilcox & T. J. Gebbie, 2013. "On pricing kernels, information and risk," Papers 1310.4067, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2013.
- Conlon, T. & Ruskin, H.J. & Crane, M., 2009. "Cross-correlation dynamics in financial time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(5), pages 705-714.
- Thomas Conlon & Heather J. Ruskin & Martin Crane, 2010. "Cross-Correlation Dynamics in Financial Time Series," Papers 1002.0321, arXiv.org.
- Goswami, B. & Ambika, G. & Marwan, N. & Kurths, J., 2012. "On interrelations of recurrences and connectivity trends between stock indices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(18), pages 4364-4376.
- Sitabhra Sinha & Raj Kumar Pan, 2007. "Uncovering the Internal Structure of the Indian Financial Market: Cross-correlation behavior in the NSE," Papers 0704.2115, arXiv.org.
- Thomas Conlon & Heather J. Ruskin & Martin Crane, 2010. "Random Matrix Theory and Fund of Funds Portfolio Optimisation," Papers 1005.5021, arXiv.org.
- Conlon, T. & Ruskin, H.J. & Crane, M., 2007. "Random matrix theory and fund of funds portfolio optimisation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 382(2), pages 565-576.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.