Serial Correlation, Periodicity and Scaling of Eigenmodes in an Emerging Market
AbstractWe investigate serial correlation, periodic, aperiodic and scaling behaviour of eigenmodes, i.e. daily price fluctuation time-series derived from eigenvectors, of correlation matrices of shares listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) from January 1993 to December 2002. Periodic, or calendar, components are detected by spectral analysis. We find that calendar effects are limited to eigenmodes which correspond to eigenvalues outside the Wishart range. Using a variance ratio test, we uncover serial correlation in the first eigenmodes and find slight negative serial correlation for eigenmodes within the Wishart range. Our spectral analysis and variance ratio investigations suggest that interpolating missing data or illiquid trading days with zero-order hold introduces high frequency noise and spurious serial correlation. Aperiodic and scaling behaviour of the eigenmodes are investigated by using rescaled-range (R/S) methods and detrended fluctuation analysis (DFA). We find that DFA and classic and modified R/S exponents suggest the presence of long-term memory effects in the first five eigenmodes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number cond-mat/0404416.
Date of creation: Apr 2004
Date of revision: Sep 2007
Publication status: Published in IJTAF, 11, 7 (November 2008), pp. 739-760
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Galluccio, Stefano & Bouchaud, Jean-Philippe & Potters, Marc, 1998. "Rational decisions, random matrices and spin glasses," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 259(3), pages 449-456.
- Drożdż, S. & Kwapień, J. & Grümmer, F. & Ruf, F. & Speth, J., 2001. "Quantifying the dynamics of financial correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 299(1), pages 144-153.
- Stefano Galluccio & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters, 1998.
"Rational Decisions, Random Matrices and Spin Glasses,"
- Stefano Galluccio & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Potters, 1998. "Rational decisions, random matrices and spin glasses," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500054, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- S. Drozdz & J. Kwapien & F. Gruemmer & F. Ruf & J. Speth, 2001. "Quantifying dynamics of the financial correlations," Papers cond-mat/0102402, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.