Lévy flights, autocorrelation, and slow convergence
AbstractPreviously we have put forward that the sluggish convergence of truncated Lévy flights to a Gaussian (Phys. Rev. Lett. 73 (1994) 2946) together with the scaling power laws in their probability of return to the origin (Nature 376 (1995) 46) can be explained by autocorrelation in data (Physica A 323 (2003) 601; Phys. Lett. A 315 (2003) 51). A purpose of this paper is to improve and enlarge the scope of such a result. The role of the autocorrelations in the convergence process as well as the problem of establishing the distance of a given distribution to the Gaussian are analyzed in greater detail. We show that whereas power laws in the second moment can still be explained by linear correlation of pairs, sluggish convergence can now emerge from nonlinear autocorrelations. Our approach is exemplified with data from the British pound–US dollar exchange rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 337 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Lévy flights; Autocorrelation; Slow convergence; Foreign exchange rates;
Other versions of this item:
- Sergio Da Silva, 2004. "Levy Flights, Autocorrelation, and Slow Convergence," Finance 0405021, EconWPA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aleksander Janicki & Aleksander Weron, 1994. "Simulation and Chaotic Behavior of Alpha-stable Stochastic Processes," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook9401.
- Sergio Da Silva, 2004.
"Autocorrelation as a Source of Truncated Levy Flights in Foreign Exchange Rates,"
- Figueiredo, Annibal & Gleria, Iram & Matsushita, Raul & Da Silva, Sergio, 2003. "Autocorrelation as a source of truncated Lévy flights in foreign exchange rates," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 323(C), pages 601-625.
- Rafal Weron, 2003.
"Levy-stable distributions revisited: tail index > 2 does not exclude the Levy-stable regime,"
- Rafal Weron, 2001. "Levy-stable distributions revisited: tail index > 2 does not exclude the Levy-stable regime," HSC Research Reports HSC/01/01, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Annibal Figueiredo & Iram Gleria & Raul Matsushita & Sergio Da Silva, 2004.
"Financial Volatility and Independent and Identically Distributed Variables,"
- Figueiredo, Annibal & Gleria, Iram & Matsushita, Raul & Da Silva, Sergio, 2005. "Financial volatility and independent and identically distributed variables," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 346(3), pages 484-498.
- Yang, Honglin & Wan, Hong & Zha, Yong, 2013. "Autocorrelation type, timescale and statistical property in financial time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(7), pages 1681-1693.
- Matsushita, Raul & Figueiredo, Annibal & Da Silva, Sergio, 2012. "A suggested statistical test for measuring bivariate nonlinear dependence," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(20), pages 4891-4898.
- Figueiredo, Annibal & Gleria, Iram & Matsushita, Raul & Da Silva, Sergio, 2006.
"Nonidentically distributed variables and nonlinear autocorrelation,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 363(2), pages 171-180.
- Annibal Figueiredo & Iram Gleria & Raul Matsushita & Sergio Da Silva, 2005. "Nonidentically distributed variables and nonlinear autocorrelation," Finance 0508009, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.