A general extension result with applications to convexity, homotheticity and monotonicity
AbstractA well-known result in the theory of binary relations states that a binary relation has a complete and transitive extension if and only if it is consistent ([Suzumura K., 1976. Remarks on the theory of collective choice, Economica 43, 381-390], Theorem 3). A relation is consistent if the elements in the transitive closure are not in the inverse of the asymmetric part. We generalize this result by replacing the transitive closure with a more general function. Using this result, we set up a procedure which leads to existence results for complete extensions satisfying various additional properties. We demonstrate the usefulness of this procedure by applying it to the properties of convexity, homotheticity and monotonicity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 57 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Binary extensions Convexity Homotheticity Monotonicity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1998. "A Quasiordering Is the Intersection of Orderings," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 382-387, February.
- Bossert, W. & Sprumont, Y., 2001.
Cahiers de recherche
2001-01, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Duggan, John, 1999. "A General Extension Theorem for Binary Relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Paolo Scapparone, 1999. "Existence of a convex extension of a preference relation," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 5-11, March.
- Suzumura, Kataro, 1976. "Remarks on the Theory of Collective Choice," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(172), pages 381-90, November.
- T. Demuynck, 2009. "Common ordering extensions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/593, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.