A general extension result with applications to convexity, homotheticity and monotonicity
AbstractA well-known result in the theory of binary relations states that a binary relation has a complete and transitive extension if and only if it is consistent ([Suzumura K., 1976. Remarks on the theory of collective choice, Economica 43, 381-390], Theorem 3). A relation is consistent if the elements in the transitive closure are not in the inverse of the asymmetric part. We generalize this result by replacing the transitive closure with a more general function. Using this result, we set up a procedure which leads to existence results for complete extensions satisfying various additional properties. We demonstrate the usefulness of this procedure by applying it to the properties of convexity, homotheticity and monotonicity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 57 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Binary extensions Convexity Homotheticity Monotonicity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BOSSERT, Walter & SPRUMONT, Yves, 2001.
Cahiers de recherche
2001-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Duggan, John, 1999. "A General Extension Theorem for Binary Relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Suzumura, Kataro, 1976. "Remarks on the Theory of Collective Choice," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(172), pages 381-90, November.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1998. "A Quasiordering Is the Intersection of Orderings," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 382-387, February.
- Paolo Scapparone, 1999. "Existence of a convex extension of a preference relation," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 5-11, March.
- T. Demuynck, 2009. "Common ordering extensions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/593, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.