Upper semicontinuous extensions of binary relations
AbstractSuzumura shows that a binary relation has a weak order extension if and only if it is consistent. However, consistency is demonstrably not sufficient to extend an upper semi-continuous binary relation to an upper semicontinuous weak order. Jaffray proves that any asymmetric (or reflexive), transitive and upper semicontinuous binary relation has an upper semicontinuous strict (or weak) order extension. We provide sufficient conditions for existence of upper semicontinuous extensions of consistence rather than transitive relations. For asymmetric relations, consistency and upper semicontinuity suffice. For more general relations, we prove one theorem using a further consistency property and another with an additional continuity requirement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Mathematical Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco
Other versions of this item:
- BOSSERT, Walter & SPRUMONT, Yves & SUZUMURA, Kotaro, 2002. "Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations," Cahiers de recherche 2002-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Walter Bossert & Yves Sprumont & Kotaro Suzumura, 2002. "Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations," Discussion Paper Series a423, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kotaro Suzumura & Yongsheng Xu, 2003. "Recoverability of choice functions and binary relations: some duality results," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 21-37, 08.
- Jaffray, Jean-Yves, 1975. "Semicontinuous extension of a partial order," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 395-406, December.
- Duggan, John, 1999. "A General Extension Theorem for Binary Relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1998. "A Quasiordering Is the Intersection of Orderings," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 382-387, February.
- Suzumura, Kataro, 1976. "Remarks on the Theory of Collective Choice," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(172), pages 381-90, November.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1969. "Quasi-Transitivity, Rational Choice and Collective Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(107), pages 381-93, July.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & Díaz, Susana, 2013. "Szpilrajn-type extensions of fuzzy quasiorderings," MPRA Paper 50547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Suzumura, Kotaro & Xu, Yongsheng, 2003.
"On constrained dual recoverability theorems,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 143-154, April.
- T. Demuynck, 2006. "Existence of closed and complete extensions applied to convex, homothetic an monotonic orderings," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/407, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- T. Demuynck, 2009. "Common ordering extensions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/593, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Andrikopoulos, Athanasios & Zacharias, Eleftherios, 2008. "General solutions for choice sets: The Generalized Optimal-Choice Axiom set," MPRA Paper 11645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.