Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations
AbstractSuzumura shows that a binary relation has a weak order extension if and only if it is consistent. However, consistency is demonstrably not sufficient to extend an upper semi-continuous binary relation to an upper semicontinuous weak order. Jaffray proves that any asymmetric (or reflexive), transitive and upper semicontinuous binary relation has an upper semicontinuous strict (or weak) order extension. We provide sufficient conditions for existence of upper semicontinuous extensions of consistence rather than transitive relations. For asymmetric relations, consistency and upper semicontinuity suffice. For more general relations, we prove one theorem using a further consistency property and another with an additional continuity requirement.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number a423.
Date of creation: Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Bossert, Walter & Sprumont, Yves & Suzumura, Kotaro, 2002. "Upper semicontinuous extensions of binary relations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 231-246, May.
- BOSSERT, Walter & SPRUMONT, Yves & SUZUMURA, Kotaro, 2002. "Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations," Cahiers de recherche 2002-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaffray, Jean-Yves, 1975. "Semicontinuous extension of a partial order," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 395-406, December.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1969. "Quasi-Transitivity, Rational Choice and Collective Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(107), pages 381-93, July.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1998. "A Quasiordering Is the Intersection of Orderings," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 382-387, February.
- Suzumura, Kataro, 1976. "Remarks on the Theory of Collective Choice," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(172), pages 381-90, November.
- Kotaro Suzumura & Yongsheng Xu, 2003. "Recoverability of choice functions and binary relations: some duality results," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 21-37, 08.
- Duggan, John, 1999. "A General Extension Theorem for Binary Relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Suzumura, Kotaro & Xu, Yongsheng, 2002.
"On Constrained Dual Recoverability Theorems,"
123, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- T. Demuynck, 2009. "Common ordering extensions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/593, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- T. Demuynck, 2006. "Existence of closed and complete extensions applied to convex, homothetic an monotonic orderings," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/407, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Andrikopoulos, Athanasios & Zacharias, Eleftherios, 2008. "General solutions for choice sets: The Generalized Optimal-Choice Axiom set," MPRA Paper 11645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & Díaz, Susana, 2013. "Szpilrajn-type extensions of fuzzy quasiorderings," MPRA Paper 50547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.