Production planning and inventories optimization: A backward approach in the convex storage cost case
AbstractWe study the deterministic optimization problem of a profit-maximizing firm which plans its sales/production schedule. The firm controls both its production and sales rates and knows the revenue associated to a given level of sales, as well as its production and storage costs. The revenue and the production cost are assumed to be respectively concave and convex. In Chazal et al. [Chazal, M., Jouini, E., Tahraoui, R., 2003. Production planning and inventories optimization with a general storage cost function. Nonlinear Analysis 54, 1365-1395], we provide an existence result and derive some necessary conditions of optimality. Here, we further assume that the storage cost is convex. This allows us to relate the optimal planning problem to the study of a backward integro-differential equation, from which we obtain an explicit construction of the optimal plan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Mathematical Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2008)
Issue (Month): 9-10 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco
Other versions of this item:
- Marie Chazal & Elyès Jouini & Rabah Tahraoui, 2003. "Production Planning and Inventories Optimization : A Backward Approach in the Convex Storage Cost Case," GE, Growth, Math methods 0312002, EconWPA.
- Marie Chazal & Elyès Jouini & Rabah Tahraoui, 2003. "Production Planning and Inventories Optimization : A Backward Approach in the Convex Storage Cost Case," Working Papers 2003-45, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Elyès Jouini & Marie Chazal & Rabah Tahraoui, 2007. "Production Planning and Inventories Optimization: A Backward Approach in the Convex Storage Cost Case," Working Papers halshs-00167156, HAL.
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tharaoui, Rabah & Chazal, Marie & Jouini, Elyès, 2003. "Production planning and inventories optimization with a general storage cost function," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/360, Paris Dauphine University.
- Feichtinger, Gustav & Hartl, Richard, 1985. "Optimal pricing and production in an inventory model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 45-56, January.
- Du, Juan & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao & Bi, Gong-bing, 2010. "DEA-based production planning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 105-112, February.
- Amirteimoori, Alireza & Kordrostami, Sohrab, 2012. "Production planning in data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 212-218.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.