Exact and heuristic methods for a class of selective newsvendor problems with normally distributed demands
AbstractIn this paper we study a class of selective newsvendor problems, where a decision maker has a set of raw materials each of which can be customized shortly before satisfying demand. The goal is then to select which subset of customizations maximizes expected profit. We show that certain multi-period and multi-product selective newsvendor problems fall within our problem class. Under the assumption that the demands are independent and normally, but not necessarily identically, distributed we show that some problem instances from our class can be solved efficiently using an attractive sorting property that was also established in the literature for some related problems. For our general model we use the KKT conditions to develop an exact algorithm that is efficient in the number of raw materials. In addition, we develop a class of heuristic algorithms. In a numerical study, we compare the performance of the algorithms, and the heuristics are shown to have excellent performance and running times as compared to available commercial solvers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taaffe, Kevin & Geunes, Joseph & Romeijn, H. Edwin, 2008. "Target market selection and marketing effort under uncertainty: The selective newsvendor," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(3), pages 987-1003, September.
- Gary D. Eppen, 1979. "Note--Effects of Centralization on Expected Costs in a Multi-Location Newsboy Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(5), pages 498-501, May.
- Chahar, Kiran & Taaffe, Kevin, 2009. "Risk averse demand selection with all-or-nothing orders," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 996-1006, October.
- Taaffe, Kevin & Geunes, Joseph & Edwin Romeijn, H., 2010. "Supply capacity acquisition and allocation with uncertain customer demands," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 263-273, July.
- Huang, Xiao & Sosic, Greys, 2010. "Repeated newsvendor game with transshipments under dual allocations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 274-284, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.