A coordinated location-inventory model
AbstractWe consider a coordinated location-inventory model where distribution centers (DCs) follow a periodic-review (R,S) inventory policy and system coordination is achieved by choosing review intervals at the DCs from a menu of permissible choices. We introduce two types of coordination: partial coordination where each DC may choose its own review interval from the menu, and full coordination where all the DCs have an identical review interval. While full coordination increases the location and inventory costs, it likely reduces the overall costs of running the system (when the operational costs such as delivery scheduling are taken into account). The problem is to determine the location of the DCs to be opened, the assignment of retailers to DCs, and the inventory policy parameters at the DCs such that the total system-wide cost is minimized. The model is formulated as a nonlinear integer-programming problem and a Lagrangian relaxation algorithm is proposed to solve it. Computational results show that the proposed algorithm is very efficient. The results of our computational experiments and case study suggest that the location and inventory cost increase due to full coordination, when compared to partial coordination, is not significant. Thus, full coordination, while enhancing the practicality of the model, is economically justifiable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 217 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Location-inventory model; Risk pooling; Periodic-review inventory; Coordination; Lagrangian relaxation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary D. Eppen, 1979. "Note--Effects of Centralization on Expected Costs in a Multi-Location Newsboy Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(5), pages 498-501, May.
- Marshall L. Fisher, 1981. "The Lagrangian Relaxation Method for Solving Integer Programming Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Snyder, Lawrence V. & Daskin, Mark S. & Teo, Chung-Piaw, 2007. "The stochastic location model with risk pooling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 1221-1238, June.
- Zuo-Jun Max Shen & Mark S. Daskin, 2005. "Trade-offs Between Customer Service and Cost in Integrated Supply Chain Design," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(3), pages 188-207, September.
- Gülpınar, Nalan & Pachamanova, Dessislava & Çanakoğlu, Ethem, 2013. "Robust strategies for facility location under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(1), pages 21-35.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.