An iterated greedy algorithm for the flowshop scheduling problem with blocking
AbstractThis paper proposes an iterated greedy algorithm for solving the blocking flowshop scheduling problem for makespan minimization. Moreover, it presents an improved NEH-based heuristic, which is used as the initial solution procedure for the iterated greedy algorithm. The effectiveness of both procedures was tested on some of Taillard's benchmark instances that are considered to be blocking flowshop instances. The experimental evaluation showed the efficiency of the proposed algorithm, in spite of its simple structure, in comparison with a state-of-the-art algorithm. In addition, new best solutions for Taillard's instances are reported for this problem, which can be used as a basis of comparison in future studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grabowski, Jøzef & Pempera, Jaroslaw, 2007. "The permutation flow shop problem with blocking. A tabu search approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 302-311, June.
- Martinez, S. & Dauzere-Peres, S. & Gueret, C. & Mati, Y. & Sauer, N., 2006. "Complexity of flowshop scheduling problems with a new blocking constraint," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(3), pages 855-864, March.
- Caraffa, Vince & Ianes, Stefano & P. Bagchi, Tapan & Sriskandarajah, Chelliah, 2001. "Minimizing makespan in a blocking flowshop using genetic algorithms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 101-115, March.
- Ronconi, Debora P., 2004. "A note on constructive heuristics for the flowshop problem with blocking," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 39-48, January.
- Grabowski, Jozef & Pempera, Jaroslaw, 2000. "Sequencing of jobs in some production system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 535-550, September.
- Nawaz, Muhammad & Enscore Jr, E Emory & Ham, Inyong, 1983. "A heuristic algorithm for the m-machine, n-job flow-shop sequencing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 91-95.
- Taillard, E., 1993. "Benchmarks for basic scheduling problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 278-285, January.
- Ruiz, Ruben & Stutzle, Thomas, 2007. "A simple and effective iterated greedy algorithm for the permutation flowshop scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 2033-2049, March.
- Lin, Shih-Wei & Ying, Kuo-Ching, 2013. "Minimizing makespan in a blocking flowshop using a revised artificial immune system algorithm," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 383-389.
- Pan, Quan-Ke & Wang, Ling, 2012. "Effective heuristics for the blocking flowshop scheduling problem with makespan minimization," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 218-229, April.
- Pan, Quan-Ke & Ruiz, Rubén, 2012. "An estimation of distribution algorithm for lot-streaming flow shop problems with setup times," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 166-180, April.
- Lai, Peng-Jen & Lee, Wen-Chiung, 2011. "Single-machine scheduling with general sum-of-processing-time-based and position-based learning effects," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 467-471, October.
- Pan, Quan-Ke & Ruiz, Rubén, 2012. "Local search methods for the flowshop scheduling problem with flowtime minimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(1), pages 31-43.
- Delorme, Xavier & Dolgui, Alexandre & Kovalyov, Mikhail Y., 2012. "Combinatorial design of a minimum cost transfer line," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 31-41, January.
- Lozano, M. & Molina, D. & GarcIÂ´a-MartIÂ´nez, C., 2011. "Iterated greedy for the maximum diversity problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(1), pages 31-38, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.