Minimizing makespan in a blocking flowshop using a revised artificial immune system algorithm
AbstractThe blocking flowshop scheduling problem has a strong industrial background but is under-represented in the research literature. In this study, a revised artificial immune system (RAIS) algorithm based on the features of artificial immune systems and the annealing process of simulated annealing algorithms was presented to minimize the makespan in a blocking flowshop. To validate the performance of the proposed RAIS algorithm, computational experiments and comparisons were conducted on the well-known benchmark problems of Taillard used in earlier studies. The experimental results show that the proposed RAIS algorithm outperforms the state-of-art algorithms on the same benchmark problem data set.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caraffa, Vince & Ianes, Stefano & P. Bagchi, Tapan & Sriskandarajah, Chelliah, 2001. "Minimizing makespan in a blocking flowshop using genetic algorithms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 101-115, March.
- Grabowski, Jøzef & Pempera, Jaroslaw, 2007. "The permutation flow shop problem with blocking. A tabu search approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 302-311, June.
- Kuo-Ching Ying, 2012. "Minimising makespan for multistage hybrid flowshop scheduling problems with multiprocessor tasks by a hybrid immune algorithm," European Journal of Industrial Engineering, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(2), pages 199-215.
- Ronconi, Débora P. & Henriques, Luís R.S., 2009. "Some heuristic algorithms for total tardiness minimization in a flowshop with blocking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 272-281, April.
- Pan, Quan-Ke & Wang, Ling, 2012. "Effective heuristics for the blocking flowshop scheduling problem with makespan minimization," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 218-229, April.
- Taillard, E., 1993. "Benchmarks for basic scheduling problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 278-285, January.
- Ribas, Imma & Companys, Ramon & Tort-Martorell, Xavier, 2011. "An iterated greedy algorithm for the flowshop scheduling problem with blocking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 293-301, June.
- Vallada, Eva & Ruiz, Rubén, 2010. "Genetic algorithms with path relinking for the minimum tardiness permutation flowshop problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 57-67, February.
- Nawaz, Muhammad & Enscore Jr, E Emory & Ham, Inyong, 1983. "A heuristic algorithm for the m-machine, n-job flow-shop sequencing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 91-95.
- Boysen, Nils & Fliedner, Malte, 2010. "Cross dock scheduling: Classification, literature review and research agenda," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 413-422, December.
- Sterna, Malgorzata, 2011. "A survey of scheduling problems with late work criteria," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 120-129, April.
- Tan, K.C. & Goh, C.K. & Mamun, A.A. & Ei, E.Z., 2008. "An evolutionary artificial immune system for multi-objective optimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(2), pages 371-392, June.
- Pan, Quan-Ke & Wang, Ling & Li, Jun-Qing & Duan, Jun-Hua, 2014. "A novel discrete artificial bee colony algorithm for the hybrid flowshop scheduling problem with makespan minimisation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 42-56.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.