A single-machine learning effect scheduling problem with release times
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate a single-machine problem with the learning effect and release times where the objective is to minimize the makespan. A branch-and-bound algorithm incorporating with several dominance properties and lower bounds is developed to derive the optimal solution. A heuristic algorithm is proposed to obtain a near-optimal solution. The computational experiments show that the branch-and-bound algorithm can solve instances up to 36 jobs, and the average error percentage of the proposed heuristic is less than 0.11%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Ji-Bo, 2007. "Single-machine scheduling problems with the effects of learning and deterioration," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 397-402, August.
- Wu, Chin-Chia & Lee, Wen-Chiung, 2009. "A note on the total completion time problem in a permutation flowshop with a learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 343-347, January.
- Koulamas, Christos & Kyparisis, George J., 2007. "Single-machine and two-machine flowshop scheduling with general learning functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 402-407, April.
- Lee, Wen-Chiung & Wu, Chin-Chia, 2004. "Minimizing total completion time in a two-machine flowshop with a learning effect," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 85-93, March.
- Wang, F. -K. & Lee, W., 2001. "Learning curve analysis in total productive maintenance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 491-499, December.
- Biskup, Dirk, 1999. "Single-machine scheduling with learning considerations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 173-178, May.
- Reddy Dondeti, V. & Mohanty, Bidhu B., 1998. "Impact of learning and fatigue factors on single machine scheduling with penalties for tardy jobs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 509-524, March.
- Mosheiov, Gur, 2001. "Scheduling problems with a learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(3), pages 687-693, August.
- Biskup, Dirk, 2008. "A state-of-the-art review on scheduling with learning effects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(2), pages 315-329, July.
- Nawaz, Muhammad & Enscore Jr, E Emory & Ham, Inyong, 1983. "A heuristic algorithm for the m-machine, n-job flow-shop sequencing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 91-95.
- Janiak, Adam & Rudek, RadosLaw, 2010. "A note on a makespan minimization problem with a multi-ability learning effect," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 213-217, June.
- Lee, Wen-Chiung & Chung, Yu-Hsiang, 2013. "Permutation flowshop scheduling to minimize the total tardiness with learning effects," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 327-334.
- Cheng, T.C.E. & Wu, Chin-Chia & Chen, Juei-Chao & Wu, Wen-Hsiang & Cheng, Shuenn-Ren, 2013. "Two-machine flowshop scheduling with a truncated learning function to minimize the makespan," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 79-86.
- Yang, Suh-Jenq & Yang, Dar-Li, 2010. "Minimizing the makespan on single-machine scheduling with aging effect and variable maintenance activities," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 528-533, December.
- Sterna, Malgorzata, 2011. "A survey of scheduling problems with late work criteria," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 120-129, April.
- Lai, Peng-Jen & Lee, Wen-Chiung, 2011. "Single-machine scheduling with general sum-of-processing-time-based and position-based learning effects," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 467-471, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.