The multiple traveling salesman problem: an overview of formulations and solution procedures
AbstractThe multiple traveling salesman problem (mTSP) is a generalization of the well-known traveling salesman problem (TSP), where more than one salesman is allowed to be used in the solution. Moreover, the characteristics of the mTSP seem more appropriate for real-life applications, and it is also possible to extend the problem to a wide variety of vehicle routing problems (VRPs) by incorporating some additional side constraints. Although there exists a wide body of the literature for the TSP and the VRP, the mTSP has not received the same amount of attention. The purpose of this survey is to review the problem and its practical applications, to highlight some formulations and to describe exact and heuristic solution procedures proposed for this problem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 34 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Liu, Ran & Xie, Xiaolan & Garaix, Thierry, 2014. "Hybridization of tabu search with feasible and infeasible local searches for periodic home health care logistics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 17-32.
- Xu, Liang & Xu, Zhou & Xu, Dongsheng, 2013. "Exact and approximation algorithms for the min–max k-traveling salesmen problem on a tree," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(2), pages 284-292.
- Yuan, Shuai & Skinner, Bradley & Huang, Shoudong & Liu, Dikai, 2013. "A new crossover approach for solving the multiple travelling salesmen problem using genetic algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(1), pages 72-82.
- Zhang, Ruiyou & Lu, Jye-Chyi & Wang, Dingwei, 2014. "Container drayage problem with flexible orders and its near real-time solution strategies," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 235-251.
- CASTRO, Marco & SÖRENSEN, Kenneth & VANSTEENWEGEN, Pieter & GOOS, Peter, 2012. "A simple GRASP+VND for the travelling salesperson problem with hotel selection," Working Papers 2012024, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Hartmann, Sönke, 2013. "Scheduling reefer mechanics at container terminals," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 17-27.
- Luo, Zhixing & Qin, Hu & Lim, Andrew, 2014. "Branch-and-price-and-cut for the multiple traveling repairman problem with distance constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(1), pages 49-60.
- Wex, Felix & Schryen, Guido & Feuerriegel, Stefan & Neumann, Dirk, 2014. "Emergency response in natural disaster management: Allocation and scheduling of rescue units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(3), pages 697-708.
- Andrzej Grzybowski, 2009. "A Note On A Single Vehicle And One Destination Routing Problem And Its Game-Theoretic Models," Advanced Logistic systems, University of Miskolc, Department of Material Handling and Logistics, vol. 3(1), pages 71-76, December.
- Day, Jamison M. & Daniel Wright, P. & Schoenherr, Tobias & Venkataramanan, Munirpallam & Gaudette, Kevin, 2009. "Improving routing and scheduling decisions at a distributor of industrial gasses," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 227-237, February.
- Thomas Volling & Martin Grunewald & Thomas S. Spengler, 2013. "An Integrated Inventory-Transportation System with Periodic Pick-Ups and Leveled Replenishment," BuR - Business Research, German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 6(2), pages 173-194, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.