An integrated analysis of nurse staffing and scheduling policies
AbstractIn this paper we present an integrated nurse staffing and scheduling system for analyzing nurse workforce management policies. A mixed-integer linear programming nurse staffing model is used to determine aggregate labor requirements for a 6-month planning horizon. Subsequently, a mixed-integer linear programming model is used to disaggregate the nurse staffing plan into 2-week labor schedules. The integrative system permits recursion between the staffing and scheduling models and thus enables nurse workforce management to rapidly evaluate the impact of both staffing and scheduling policies. We use the new system to study the effects of staffing and scheduling policies on labor costs. The results suggest that there are indeed important interactions between staffing and scheduling policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward P. C. Kao & Maurice Queyranne, 1985. "Budgeting Costs of Nursing in a Hospital," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(5), pages 608-621, May.
- Siferd, Sue Perrott & Benton, W. C., 1992. "Workforce staffing and scheduling: Hospital nursing specific models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 233-246, August.
- Rosenbloom, E. S. & Goertzen, N. F., 1987. "Cyclic nurse scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 19-23, July.
- Brusco, MJ & Showalter, MJ, 1993. "Constrained nurse staffing analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 175-186, March.
- Henderson, John C & Krajewski, Lee J & Showalter, Michael J, 1982. "An integrated approach for manpower planning in the service sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 61-73.
- D. Michael Warner & Juan Prawda, 1972. "A Mathematical Programming Model for Scheduling Nursing Personnel in a Hospital," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4-Part-1), pages 411-422, December.
- Lagodimos, A.G. & Mihiotis, A.N., 2010. "Efficient overtime planning in packing shops with lines of identical manning," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 453-462, April.
- Lagodimos, A.G. & Mihiotis, A.N., 2006. "Overtime vs. regular shift planning decisions in packing shops," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 246-258, June.
- Maenhout, Broos & Vanhoucke, Mario, 2013. "An integrated nurse staffing and scheduling analysis for longer-term nursing staff allocation problems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 485-499.
- Elina Rönnberg & Torbjörn Larsson, 2010. "Automating the self-scheduling process of nurses in Swedish healthcare: a pilot study," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 35-53, March.
- Falasca, Mauro & Zobel, Christopher, 2012. "An optimization model for volunteer assignments in humanitarian organizations," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 250-260.
- Komarudin, & Guerry, Marie-Anne & De Feyter, Tim & Vanden Berghe, Greet, 2013. "The roster quality staffing problem – A methodology for improving the roster quality by modifying the personnel structure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 230(3), pages 551-562.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.