Second order optimality for estimators in time series regression models
AbstractWe consider the second order asymptotic properties of an efficient frequency domain regression coefficient estimator proposed by Hannan [Regression for time series, Proc. Sympos. Time Series Analysis (Brown Univ., 1962), Wiley, New York, 1963, pp. 17-37]. This estimator is a semiparametric estimator based on nonparametric spectral estimators. We derive the second order Edgeworth expansion of the distribution of . Then it is shown that the second order asymptotic properties are independent of the bandwidth choice for residual spectral estimator, which implies that has the same rate of convergence as in regular parametric estimation. This is a sharp contrast with the general semiparametric estimation theory. We also examine the second order Gaussian efficiency of . Numerical studies are given to confirm the theoretical results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiao, Zhijie & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1998. "Higher-order approximations for frequency domain time series regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 297-336, June.
- Peter M. Robinson & Carlos Velasco, 2000.
"Edgeworth expansions for spectral density estimates and studentized sample mean,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2148, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Velasco, Carlos & Robinson, Peter M., 2001. "Edgeworth Expansions For Spectral Density Estimates And Studentized Sample Mean," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 497-539, June.
- Carlos Velasco & Peter M. Robinson, 2001. "Edgeworth expansions for spectral density estimates and studentized sample mean," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 315, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Linton, Oliver & Xiao, Zhijie, 2001.
"Second-Order Approximation For Adaptive Regression Estimators,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(05), pages 984-1024, October.
- Oliver Linton & Zhijie Xiao, 2001. "Second-order approximation for adaptive regression estimators," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 317, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Taniguchi, Masanobu & van Garderen, Kees Jan & Puri, Madan L., 2003. "Higher Order Asymptotic Theory For Minimum Contrast Estimators Of Spectral Parameters Of Stationary Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(06), pages 984-1007, December.
- Xiao, Zhijie & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2002. "Higher order approximations for Wald statistics in time series regressions with integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 157-198, May.
- Toyooka, Yasuyuki, 1985. "Second-order risk comparison of SLSE with GLSE and MLE in a regression with serial correlation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 107-126, October.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Automatic Frequency Domain Inference on Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1329-63, September.
- Taniguchi, Masanobu & Puri, Madan L. & Kondo, Masao, 1996. "Nonparametric Approach for Non-Gaussian Vector Stationary Processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 259-283, February.
- Linton, Oliver, 1995.
"Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1079-1112, September.
- Oliver Linton, 1993. "Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1065, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1984. "Approximate Normality of Generalized Least Squares Estimates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 811-25, July.
- Daniel Wilhelm, 2014. "Optimal bandwidth selection for robust generalized method of moments estimation," CeMMAP working papers CWP15/14, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.