Second order optimality for estimators in time series regression models
AbstractWe consider the second order asymptotic properties of an efficient frequency domain regression coefficient estimator proposed by Hannan [Regression for time series, Proc. Sympos. Time Series Analysis (Brown Univ., 1962), Wiley, New York, 1963, pp. 17-37]. This estimator is a semiparametric estimator based on nonparametric spectral estimators. We derive the second order Edgeworth expansion of the distribution of . Then it is shown that the second order asymptotic properties are independent of the bandwidth choice for residual spectral estimator, which implies that has the same rate of convergence as in regular parametric estimation. This is a sharp contrast with the general semiparametric estimation theory. We also examine the second order Gaussian efficiency of . Numerical studies are given to confirm the theoretical results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toyooka, Yasuyuki, 1985. "Second-order risk comparison of SLSE with GLSE and MLE in a regression with serial correlation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 107-126, October.
- Linton, Oliver & Xiao, Zhijie, 2001. "Second-Order Approximation For Adaptive Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(05), pages 984-1024, October.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Automatic Frequency Domain Inference on Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1329-63, September.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1984. "Approximate Normality of Generalized Least Squares Estimates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 811-25, July.
- Taniguchi, Masanobu & Puri, Madan L. & Kondo, Masao, 1996. "Nonparametric Approach for Non-Gaussian Vector Stationary Processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 259-283, February.
- Xiao, Zhijie & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2002. "Higher order approximations for Wald statistics in time series regressions with integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 157-198, May.
- Taniguchi, Masanobu & van Garderen, Kees Jan & Puri, Madan L., 2003. "Higher Order Asymptotic Theory For Minimum Contrast Estimators Of Spectral Parameters Of Stationary Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(06), pages 984-1007, December.
- Velasco, Carlos & Robinson, Peter M., 2001. "Edgeworth Expansions For Spectral Density Estimates And Studentized Sample Mean," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 497-539, June.
- Oliver Linton, 1993.
"Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1065, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Linton, Oliver, 1995. "Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1079-1112, September.
- Xiao, Zhijie & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1998. "Higher-order approximations for frequency domain time series regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 297-336, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.