Edgeworth Expansions For Spectral Density Estimates And Studentized Sample Mean
AbstractWe establish valid Edgeworth expansions for the distribution of smoothed nonparametric spectral estimates, and of studentized versions of linear statistics such as the sample mean, where the studentization employs such a nonparametric spectral estimate. Particular attention is paid to the spectral estimate at zero frequency and, correspondingly, the studentized sample mean, to reflect econometric interest in autocorrelation-consistent or long-run variance estimation. Our main focus is on stationary Gaussian series, though we discuss relaxation of the Gaussianity assumption. Only smoothness conditions on the spectral density that are local to the frequency of interest are imposed. We deduce empirical expansions from our Edgeworth expansions designed to improve on the normal approximation in practice and also deduce a feasible rule of bandwidth choice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 03 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sun, Yixiao, 2013.
"Let's Fix It: Fixed-b Asymptotics versus Small-b Asymptotics in Heteroscedasticity and Autocorrelation Robust Inference,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt8x8307rz, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Sun, Yixiao, 2014. "Let’s fix it: Fixed-b asymptotics versus small-b asymptotics in heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation robust inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 178(P3), pages 659-677.
- Politis, D N, 2009. "Higher-Order Accurate, Positive Semi-definite Estimation of Large-Sample Covariance and Spectral Density Matrices," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt66w826hz, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Preinerstorfer, David & Pötscher, Benedikt M., 2013. "On Size and Power of Heteroscedasticity and Autocorrelation Robust Tests," MPRA Paper 45675, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Liudas Giraitis & Peter M Robinson, 2002. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Whittle Estimation of Long Memory," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2002/438, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Sun, Yixiao & Phillips, Peter C.B. & Jin, Sainan, 2011.
"Power Maximization And Size Control In Heteroskedasticity And Autocorrelation Robust Tests With Exponentiated Kernels,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(06), pages 1320-1368, December.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C.B. Phillips & Sainan Jin, 2010. "Power Maximization and Size Control in Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Robust Tests with Exponentiated Kernels," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1749, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tamaki, Kenichiro, 2007. "Second order optimality for estimators in time series regression models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 638-659, March.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Distaso, Walter & Giraitis, Liudas, 2009. "Two estimators of the long-run variance: Beyond short memory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 56-70, May.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Yixiao Sun & Sainan Jin, 2005. "Improved HAR Inference," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1513, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kakizawa, Yoshihide, 2007. "Moderate deviations for quadratic forms in Gaussian stationary processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(5), pages 992-1017, May.
- Sun, Yixiao X & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Jin, Sainan, 2005. "Optimal Bandwidth Selection in Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Testingâˆ—," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt16b3j2hd, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- repec:ner:lselon:http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/291/ is not listed on IDEAS
- Jin Lee, 2012. "Nonparametric Testing for Long-Run Neutrality with Applications to US Money and Output Data," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(2), pages 183-202, August.
- Del Brio, Esther B. & Perote, Javier, 2012. "Gram–Charlier densities: Maximum likelihood versus the method of moments," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 531-537.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2008. "Optimal Bandwidth Choice for Interval Estimation in GMM Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1661, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.