Linearly interpolated FDH efficiency score for nonconvex frontiers
AbstractThis paper addresses the problem of estimating the monotone boundary of a nonconvex set in a full nonparametric and multivariate setup. This is particularly useful in the context of productivity analysis where the efficient frontier is the locus of optimal production scenarios. Then efficiency scores are defined by the distance of a firm from this efficient boundary. In this setup, the free disposal hull (FDH) estimator has been extensively used due to its flexibility and because it allows nonconvex attainable production sets. However, the nonsmoothness and discontinuities of the FDH is a drawback for conducting inference in finite samples. In particular, it is shown that the bootstrap of the FDH has poor performances and so is not useful in practice. Our estimator, the LFDH, is a linearized version of the FDH, obtained by linear interpolation of appropriate FDH-efficient vertices. It offers a continuous, smooth version of the FDH. We provide an algorithm for computing the estimator, and we establish its asymptotic properties. We also provide an easy way to approximate its asymptotic sampling distribution. The latter could offer bias-corrected estimator and confidence intervals of the efficiency scores. In a Monte Carlo study, we show that these approximations work well even in moderate sample sizes and that our LFDH estimator outperforms, both in bias and in MSE, the original FDH estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 97 (2006)
Issue (Month): 10 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simar, Léopold & Vanhems, Anne, 2012.
"Probabilistic characterization of directional distances and their robust versions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 166(2), pages 342-354.
- Simar, Léopold & Vanhems, Anne, 2010. "Probabilistic Characterization of Directional Distances and their Robust Versions," TSE Working Papers 10-195, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Bădin, Luiza & Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2012. "How to measure the impact of environmental factors in a nonparametric production model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 818-833.
- Olesen, Ole B. & Ruggiero, John, 2014. "Maintaining the Regular Ultra Passum Law in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(3), pages 798-809.
- George Halkos & Nickolaos Tzeremes, 2010. "The effect of foreign ownership on SMEs performance: An efficiency analysis perspective," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 167-180, October.
- Simar, Léopold & Vanhems, Anne & Wilson, Paul W., 2012. "Statistical inference for DEA estimators of directional distances," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 853-864.
- Simar, Léopold, 2003.
"How to Improve the Performances of DEA/FDH Estimators in the Presence of Noise?,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2003,33, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Léopold Simar, 2007. "How to improve the performances of DEA/FDH estimators in the presence of noise?," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 183-201, December.
- Alois Kneip & Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2011. "A Computationally Efficient, Consistent Bootstrap for Inference with Non-parametric DEA Estimators," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 483-515, November.
- Badin, Luiza & Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2010.
"Optimal bandwidth selection for conditional efficiency measures: A data-driven approach,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 633-640, March.
- Luiza Badin & Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2008. "Optimal Bandwidth Selection for Conditional Efficiency Measures: a Data-driven Approach," LEM Papers Series 2008/22, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Carvalho, Pedro & Marques, Rui Cunha, 2014. "Computing economies of vertical integration, economies of scope and economies of scale using partial frontier nonparametric methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(1), pages 292-307.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2011. "Inference by the m out of n bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 33-53, August.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2009. "Exploring the effect of countries’ economic prosperity on their biodiversity performance," MPRA Paper 32102, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.