A comparison of public and private schools in Spain using robust nonparametric frontier methods
AbstractThis paper uses an innovative approach to evaluate educational performance of Spanish students in PISA 2009. Our purpose is to decompose their overall inefficiency between different components with a special focus on studying the differences between public and state subsidized private schools. We use a technique inspired by the non-parametric Free Disposal Hull (FDH) and the application of robust order-m models, which allow us to mitigate the influence of outliers and the curse of dimensionality. Subsequently, we adopt a metafrontier framework to assess each student relative to the own group best practice frontier (students in the same school) and to different frontiers constructed from the best practices of different types of schools. The results show that state-subsidised private schools outperform public schools, although the differences between them are significantly reduced once we control for the type of students enrolled in both type of centres.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 51375.
Date of creation: Nov 2013
Date of revision:
Education; Efficiency; Multilevel Modelling; Free Disposal Hull;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2013-11-16 (Education)
- NEP-EFF-2013-11-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-NPS-2013-11-16 (Nonprofit & Public Sector)
- NEP-URE-2013-11-16 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph G. Altonji & Todd E. Elder & Christopher R. Taber, 2005.
"Selection on Observed and Unobserved Variables: Assessing the Effectiveness of Catholic Schools,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 151-184, February.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Todd E. Elder & Christopher R. Taber, 2000. "Selection on Observed and Unobserved Variables: Assessing the Effectiveness of Catholic Schools," NBER Working Papers 7831, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chudgar, Amita & Quin, Elizabeth, 2012. "Relationship between private schooling and achievement: Results from rural and urban India," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 376-390.
- George Battese & D. Rao & Christopher O'Donnell, 2004. "A Metafrontier Production Function for Estimation of Technical Efficiencies and Technology Gaps for Firms Operating Under Different Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-103, January.
- Kristof De Witte & Mika Kortelainen, 2013. "What explains the performance of students in a heterogeneous environment? Conditional efficiency estimation with continuous and discrete environmental variables," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(17), pages 2401-2412, June.
- Cecilia Elena Rouse & Lisa Barrow, 2009. "School Vouchers and Student Achievement: Recent Evidence and Remaining Questions," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 17-42, 05.
- Hsieh, Chang-Tai & Urquiola, Miguel, 2006. "The effects of generalized school choice on achievement and stratification: Evidence from Chile's voucher program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1477-1503, September.
- Hanushek, E-A & Rivkin, S-G & Taylor, L-L, 1995.
"Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources,"
RCER Working Papers
397, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hanushek, Eric A & Rivkin, Steven G & Taylor, Lori L, 1996. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 611-27, November.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Steven G. Rivkin & Lori L. Taylor, 1996. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," NBER Working Papers 5548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher O’Donnell & D. Rao & George Battese, 2008. "Metafrontier frameworks for the study of firm-level efficiencies and technology ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 231-255, March.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002. "Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 2003.
"The Failure of Input-Based Schooling Policies,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F64-F98, February.
- David Newhouse & Kathleen Beegle, 2006.
"The Effect of School Type on Academic Achievement: Evidence from Indonesia,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 41(3).
- Newhouse, David & Beegle, Kathleen, 2005. "The effect of school type on academic achievement : evidence from Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3604, The World Bank.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Jorge Calero & Josep-Oriol Escardíbul, 2007.
"Evaluación de servicios educativos: el rendimiento en los centros públicos y privados medido en PISA-2003,"
Hacienda Pública Española,
IEF, vol. 183(4), pages 33-66, december.
- Jorge Calero & Josep-Oriol Escardíbul, 2007. "Evaluación de servicios educativos: El rendimiento en los centros públicos y privados medido en PISA-2003," Working Papers 2007/7, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Marcus Tamm, 2007.
"Does Money Buy Higher Schooling?: Evidence from Secondary School Track Choice in Germany,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
41, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Tamm, Marcus, 2008. "Does money buy higher schooling?: Evidence from secondary school track choice in Germany," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 536-545, October.
- Marcus Tamm, 2007. "Does Money Buy Higher Schooling? Evidence from Secondary School Track Choice in Germany," Working Papers 58, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Marcus Tamm, 2007. "Does Money Buy Higher Schooling? Evidence from Secondary School Track Choice in Germany," RWI Discussion Papers 0055, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Thieme, Claudio & Prior, Diego & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2013. "A multilevel decomposition of school performance using robust nonparametric frontier techniques," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 104-121.
- George E. Battese & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2002. "Technology Gap, Efficiency, and a Stochastic Metafrontier Function," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 1(2), pages 87-93, August.
- Summers, Anita A & Wolfe, Barbara L, 1977. "Do Schools Make a Difference?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 639-52, September.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2001. "Decomposing school and school-type efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 357-373, July.
- Burgess, Simon & Briggs, Adam, 2010.
"School assignment, school choice and social mobility,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 639-649, August.
- Simon Burgess & Adam Briggs, 2006. "School Assignment, School Choice and Social Mobility," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 06/157, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel & Lockheed, Marlaine E & Paqueo, Vicente, 1991. "The Relative Efficiency of Private and Public Schools in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 205-18, July.
- Kneip, Alois & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, L opold, 1998. "A Note On The Convergence Of Nonparametric Dea Estimators For Production Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 783-793, December.
- Caroline Minter Hoxby, 2003. "Introduction to "The Economics of School Choice"," NBER Chapters, in: The Economics of School Choice, pages 1-22 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dronkers, Jaap & Avram, S, 2010.
"A Cross-national analysis of the relations between school choice and effectiveness differences between private-independent and public schools,"
23886, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dronkers, Jaap & Avram, S, 2009. "A cross-national analysis of the relations between school choice and effectiveness differences between private-dependent and public schools," MPRA Paper 23911, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- López-Torres, Laura & Prior, Diego , 2013. "Do Parents Perceive The Technical Quality Of Public Schools? An Activity Analysis Approach," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(3), pages 39-60.
- Lefgren, Lars, 2004. "Educational peer effects and the Chicago public schools," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 169-191, September.
- Caroline M. Hoxby, 2003. "The Economics of School Choice," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number hox03-1.
- Park, B.U. & Simar, L. & Weiner, Ch., 2000. "The Fdh Estimator For Productivity Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(06), pages 855-877, December.
- Anand, Priyanka & Mizala, Alejandra & Repetto, Andrea, 2009. "Using school scholarships to estimate the effect of private education on the academic achievement of low-income students in Chile," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 370-381, June.
- Sergio Perelman & Daniel Santin, 2011.
"Measuring educational efficiency at student level with parametric stochastic distance functions: an application to Spanish PISA results,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 29-49.
- Sergio Perelman & Daniel Santin, 2005. "Measuring educational efficiency at student level with parametric stochastic distance functions: An application to Spanish PISA results," CREPP Working Papers 0504, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Emmanuel Thanassoulis & Maria Da Conceicao & A. Silva Portela, 2002. "School Outcomes: Sharing the Responsibility Between Pupil and School1," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 183-207.
- Toma, Eugenia Froedge, 1996. "Public Funding and Private Schooling across Countries," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(1), pages 121-48, April.
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Witte, Kristof & Ooghe, Erwin & Nicaise, Ides, 2010. "Efficiency and equity in private and public education: A nonparametric comparison," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 563-573, April.
- Kim, Young-Joo, 2011. "Catholic schools or school quality? The effects of Catholic schools on labor market outcomes," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 546-558, June.
- Maria Alberta Oliveira & Carlos Santos, 2005. "Assessing school efficiency in Portugal using FDH and bootstrapping," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 957-968.
- Victor Lavy & Olmo Silva & Felix Weinhardt, 2012. "The Good, the Bad, and the Average: Evidence on Ability Peer Effects in Schools," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 367 - 414.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- McEwan, Patrick J., 2003. "Peer effects on student achievement: evidence from Chile," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 131-141, April.
- Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 1995. "Socioeconomic background, schooling, experience, ability and monetary rewards in Greece," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 85-91, March.
- Laurens Cherchye & Kristof De Witte & Erwin Ooghe, 2008. "Equity and efficiency in private and public education: a nonparametric comparison," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0725, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- M-J Manceb�n & J Calero & � Choi & D P Xim�nez-de-Emb�n, 2012. "The efficiency of public and publicly subsidized high schools in Spain: Evidence from PISA-2006," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 63(11), pages 1516-1533, November.
- Dan D. Goldhaber & Dominic J. Brewer, 1997. "Why Don't Schools and Teachers Seem to Matter? Assessing the Impact of Unobservables on Educational Productivity," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(3), pages 505-523.
- William Sander, 1996. "Catholic Grade Schools and Academic Achievement," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(3), pages 540-548.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.