Second-order accurate inference on eigenvalues of covariance and correlation matrices
AbstractEdgeworth expansions and saddlepoint approximations for the distributions of estimators of certain eigenfunctions of covariance and correlation matrices are developed. These expansions depend on second-, third-, and fourth-order moments of the sample covariance matrix. Expressions for and estimators of these moments are obtained. The expansions and moment expressions are used to construct second-order accurate confidence intervals for the eigenfunctions. The expansions are illustrated and the results of a small simulation study that evaluates the finite-sample performance of the confidence intervals are reported.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 96 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujikoshi, Y., 1978. "Asymptotic expansions for the distributions of some functions of the latent roots of matrices in three situations," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 63-72, March.
- Thomas J. DiCiccio, 2002. "Accurate confidence limits for scalar functions of vector M-estimands," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 437-450, June.
- Robert J. Boik, 2002. "Spectral models for covariance matrices," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(1), pages 159-182, March.
- Boik, Robert J., 1998. "A Local Parameterization of Orthogonal and Semi-Orthogonal Matrices with Applications," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 244-276, November.
- Bahjat F. Qaqish, 2003. "A family of multivariate binary distributions for simulating correlated binary variables with specified marginal means and correlations," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(2), pages 455-463, June.
- Wang, Suojin, 1992. "General saddlepoint approximations in the bootstrap," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 61-66, January.
- Booth, J. G. & Hall, P. & Wood, A. T. A., 1994. "On the Validity of Edgeworth and Saddlepoint Approximations," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 121-138, October.
- Robert J. Boik, 2003. "Principal component models for correlation matrices," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(3), pages 679-701, September.
- Boik, Robert J., 2008. "An implicit function approach to constrained optimization with applications to asymptotic expansions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 465-489, March.
- Boik, Robert J., 2013. "Model-based principal components of correlation matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 310-331.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.