A Local Parameterization of Orthogonal and Semi-Orthogonal Matrices with Applications
AbstractThis article describes a local parameterization of orthogonal and semi-orthogonal matrices. The parameterization leads to a unified approach for obtaining the asymptotic joint distributions of estimators of singular-values and -vectors, and of eigen-values and -vectors. The singular- or eigen-values can have arbitrary multiplicities. The approach is illustrated on principal components analyzes, canonical correlation analysis, inter-battery factory analysis, and reduced-rank regression.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 67 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas Clarkson & Robert Jennrich, 1988. "Quartic rotation criteria and algorithms," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 251-259, June.
- Izenman, Alan Julian, 1975. "Reduced-rank regression for the multivariate linear model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 248-264, June.
- Seo, T. & Kanda, T. & Fujikoshi, Y., 1995. "The Effects of Nonnormality of Tests for Dimensionality in Canonical Correlation and MANOVA Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 325-337, February.
- Fujikoshi, Yasunori, 1974. "The likelihood ratio tests for the dimensionality of regression coefficients," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 327-340, September.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Fang, C. & Krishnaiah, P. R., 1982. "Asymptotic distributions of functions of the eigenvalues of some random matrices for nonnormal populations," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 39-63, March.
- Magnus, J.R. & Neudecker, H., 1979. "The commutation matrix: Some properties and applications," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153207, Tilburg University.
- Kollo, T. & Neudecker, H., 1993. "Asymptotics of Eigenvalues and Unit-Length Eigenvectors of Sample Variance and Correlation Matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 283-300, November.
- Ledyard Tucker, 1958. "An inter-battery method of factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 111-136, June.
- Eaton, M. L. & Tyler, D., 1994. "The Asymptotic Distribution of Singular-Values with Applications to Canonical Correlations and Correspondence Analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 238-264, August.
- James Steiger & Michael Browne, 1984. "The comparison of interdependent correlations between optimal linear composites," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 49(1), pages 11-24, March.
- Ogasawara, Haruhiko, 2006. "Asymptotic expansion of the sample correlation coefficient under nonnormality," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 891-910, February.
- Robert Boik, 2008. "Accurate confidence intervals in regression analyses of non-normal data," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 60(1), pages 61-83, March.
- Haruhiko Ogasawara, 2009. "Asymptotic expansions in the singular value decomposition for cross covariance and correlation under nonnormality," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 61(4), pages 995-1017, December.
- Kollo, Tõnu & Ruul, Kaire, 2003. "Approximations to the distribution of the sample correlation matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 318-334, May.
- Boik, Robert J., 2005. "Second-order accurate inference on eigenvalues of covariance and correlation matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 136-171, September.
- Ogasawara, Haruhiko, 2007. "Asymptotic expansions of the distributions of estimators in canonical correlation analysis under nonnormality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(9), pages 1726-1750, October.
- Boik, Robert J., 2013. "Model-based principal components of correlation matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 310-331.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.