Rate optimal estimation with the integration method in the presence of many covariates
AbstractFor multivariate regressors, integrating the Nadaraya-Watson regression smoother produces estimators of the lower-dimensional marginal components that are asymptotically normally distributed, at the optimal rate of convergence. Some heuristics, based on consistency of the pilot estimator, suggested that the estimator would not converge at the optimal rate of convergence in the presence of more than four covariates. This paper shows first that marginal integration with its internally normalized counterpart leads to rate-optimal estimators of the marginal components. We introduce the necessary modifications and give central limit theorems. Then, it is shown that the method apply also to more general models, in particular we discuss feasible estimation of partial linear models. The proofs reveal that the pilot estimator shall over-smooth the variables to be integrated, and, that the resulting estimator is itself a lower-dimensional regression smoother. Hence, finite sample properties of the estimator are comparable to those of low-dimensional nonparametric regression. Further advantages when starting with the internally normalized pilot estimator are its computational attractiveness and better performance (compared to its classical counterpart) when the covatiates are correlated and nonuniformly distributed. Simulation studies underline the excellent performance in comparison with so far known methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 95 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, October.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 2001. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Generalized Additive Model with an Unknown Link Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 499-513, March.
- Opsomer, Jan & Ruppert, David, 1997. "Fitting a Bivariate Additive Model by Local Polynomial Regression," Staff General Research Papers 1071, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1997.
"The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm Under Weak Conditions,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1160, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen & N Nielsen, 2000. "The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm under Weak Conditions," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/386, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Linton, Oliver & Mammen, E. & Nielsen, J., 1999. "The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Li, Qi, 2000. "Efficient Estimation of Additive Partially Linear Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1073-92, November.
- Sperlich, Stefan & Tj stheim, Dag & Yang, Lijian, 2002.
"Nonparametric Estimation And Testing Of Interaction In Additive Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 197-251, April.
- Sperlich, Stefan & Tjøstheim, Dag & Yang, Lijian, 1998. "Nonparametric estimation and testing of interaction in additive models," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,14, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Kong, Efang & Linton, Oliver & Xia, Yingcun, 2010.
"Uniform Bahadur Representation For Local Polynomial Estimates Of M-Regression And Its Application To The Additive Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(05), pages 1529-1564, October.
- Efang Kong & Oliver Linton & Yingcun Xia, 2009. "Uniform Bahadur Representation for LocalPolynomial Estimates of M-Regressionand Its Application to The Additive Model," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2009/535, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Qian, Junhui & Wang, Le, 2012.
"Estimating semiparametric panel data models by marginal integration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 483-493.
- Qian, Junhui & Wang, Le, 2009. "Estimating Semiparametric Panel Data Models by Marginal Integration," MPRA Paper 18850, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jorge Barrientos Marin, 2006. "Estimation And Testing An Additive Partially Linear Model In A System Of Engel Curves," Working Papers. Serie AD 2006-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Moral-Arce, Ignacio & Rodríguez-Póo, Juan M. & Sperlich, Stefan, 2011. "Low dimensional semiparametric estimation in a censored regression model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 118-129, January.
- Krishna Pendakur & Stefan Sperlich, 2010. "Semiparametric estimation of consumer demand systems in real expenditure," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 420-457.
- Holger Dette & Regine Scheder, 2011. "Estimation of additive quantile regression," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 245-265, April.
- Manzan, sebastiano & Zerom, Dawit, 2008. "A Semiparametric Analysis of Gasoline Demand in the US: Reexamining The Impact of Price," MPRA Paper 14386, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.