Tail order and intermediate tail dependence of multivariate copulas
AbstractIn order to study copula families that have tail patterns and tail asymmetry different from multivariate Gaussian and t copulas, we introduce the concepts of tail order and tail order functions. These provide an integrated way to study both tail dependence and intermediate tail dependence. Some fundamental properties of tail order and tail order functions are obtained. For the multivariate Archimedean copula, we relate the tail heaviness of a positive random variable to the tail behavior of the Archimedean copula constructed from the Laplace transform of the random variable, and extend the results of Charpentier and SegersÂ  [A. Charpentier, J. Segers, Tails of multivariate Archimedean copulas, Journal of Multivariate Analysis 100 (7) (2009) 1521-1537] for upper tails of Archimedean copulas. In addition, a new one-parameter Archimedean copula family based on the Laplace transform of the inverse Gamma distribution is proposed; it possesses patterns of upper and lower tails not seen in commonly used copula families. Finally, tail orders are studied for copulas constructed from mixtures of max-infinitely divisible copulas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 102 (2011)
Issue (Month): 10 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charpentier, Arthur & Segers, Johan, 2009. "Tails of multivariate Archimedean copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(7), pages 1521-1537, August.
- Andrew Patton, 2004.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
wp04-04, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Joe, Harry & Hu, Taizhong, 1996. "Multivariate Distributions from Mixtures of Max-Infinitely Divisible Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 240-265, May.
- Enkelejd Hashorva & Jürg Hüsler, 2003. "On multivariate Gaussian tails," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 55(3), pages 507-522, September.
- Joe, Harry & Ma, Chunsheng, 2000. "Multivariate Survival Functions with a Min-Stable Property," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 13-35, October.
- Joe, Harry & Li, Haijun & Nikoloulopoulos, Aristidis K., 2010. "Tail dependence functions and vine copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 252-270, January.
- Colangelo, Antonio & Scarsini, Marco & Shaked, Moshe, 2005. "Some notions of multivariate positive dependence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 13-26, August.
- Alexandra Ramos & Anthony Ledford, 2009. "A new class of models for bivariate joint tails," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(1), pages 219-241.
- Juri, Alessandro & Wuthrich, Mario V., 2002. "Copula convergence theorems for tail events," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 405-420, June.
- Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi, 2008. "New Evidence of Asymmetric Dependence Structures in International Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(03), pages 787-815, September.
- Aas, Kjersti & Czado, Claudia & Frigessi, Arnoldo & Bakken, Henrik, 2009. "Pair-copula constructions of multiple dependence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 182-198, April.
- Krupskii, Pavel & Joe, Harry, 2013. "Factor copula models for multivariate data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 85-101.
- J. Rosco & Harry Joe, 2013. "Measures of tail asymmetry for bivariate copulas," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 54(3), pages 709-726, August.
- Hua, Lei & Joe, Harry, 2012. "Tail comonotonicity: Properties, constructions, and asymptotic additivity of risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 492-503.
- Hua, Lei & Joe, Harry, 2014. "Strength of tail dependence based on conditional tail expectation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 123(C), pages 143-159.
- Lorenzo Ricci & David Veredas, 2012.
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1227, Banco de Espa�a.
- Nolde, Natalia, 2014. "Geometric interpretation of the residual dependence coefficient," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 123(C), pages 85-95.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.