On the limiting spectral distribution of the covariance matrices of time-lagged processes
AbstractWe consider two continuous-time Gaussian processes, one being partially correlated to a time-lagged version of the other. We first give the limiting spectral distribution for the covariance matrices of the increments of the processes when the span between two observations tends to zero. Then, we derive the limiting distribution of the eigenvalues of the sample covariance matrices. This result is obtained when the number of paths of the processes is asymptotically proportional to the number of observations for each single path. As an application, we use the second moment of this distribution together with auxiliary volatility and correlation estimates to construct an adaptive estimator of the time lag between the two processes. Finally, we provide an asymptotic theory for our estimation procedure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 101 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nijman, T.E. & Jong, F.C.J.M. de, 1997.
"High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-74206, Tilburg University.
- de Jong, Frank & Nijman, Theo, 1997. "High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 259-277, June.
- Jong, F.C.J.M. de & Nijman, T.E., 1995. "High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets," Discussion Paper 1995-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Yin, Y. Q. & Krishnaiah, P. R., 1983. "A limit theorem for the eigenvalues of product of two random matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 489-507, December.
- Silverstein, J. W., 1995. "Strong Convergence of the Empirical Distribution of Eigenvalues of Large Dimensional Random Matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 331-339, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.