Strong Convergence of the Empirical Distribution of Eigenvalues of Large Dimensional Random Matrices
AbstractLet X be n - N containing i.i.d. complex entries with E X11 - EX112 = 1, and T an n - n random Hermitian nonnegative definite, independent of X. Assume, almost surely, as n --> [infinity], the empirical distribution function (e.d.f.) of the eigenvalues of T converges in distribution, and the ratio n/N tends to a positive number. Then it is shown that, almost surely, the e.d.f. of the eigenvalues of (1/N) XX*T converges in distribution. The limit is nonrandom and is characterized in terms of its Stieltjes transform, which satisfies a certain equation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 55 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dozier, R. Brent & Silverstein, Jack W., 2007. "On the empirical distribution of eigenvalues of large dimensional information-plus-noise-type matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(4), pages 678-694, April.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2013. "Optimal estimation of a large-dimensional covariance matrix under Stein’s loss," ECON - Working Papers 122, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised Dec 2013.
- Olivier Ledoit & Sandrine Péché, 2009. "Eigenvectors of some large sample covariance matrices ensembles," IEW - Working Papers 407, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Taras Bodnar & Nestor Parolya & Wolfgang Schmid, 2014. "Estimation of the Global Minimum Variance Portfolio in High Dimensions," Papers 1406.0437, arXiv.org.
- Bai, Z.D. & Zhang, L.X., 2010. "The limiting spectral distribution of the product of the Wigner matrix and a nonnegative definite matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 1927-1949, October.
- Li, Weiming & Qin, Yingli, 2014. "Hypothesis testing for high-dimensional covariance matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 128(C), pages 108-119.
- Anatolyev, Stanislav, 2012.
"Inference in regression models with many regressors,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 368-382.
- Stanislav Anatolyev, 2009. "Inference in Regression Models with Many Regressors," Working Papers w0125, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2013. "Spectrum estimation: a unified framework for covariance matrix estimation and PCA in large dimensions," ECON - Working Papers 105, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2013.
- Pan, Guangming, 2010. "Strong convergence of the empirical distribution of eigenvalues of sample covariance matrices with a perturbation matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(6), pages 1330-1338, July.
- Bai, Z.D. & Miao, Baiqi & Jin, Baisuo, 2007. "On limit theorem for the eigenvalues of product of two random matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 76-101, January.
- Yao, Jianfeng, 2012. "A note on a Marčenko–Pastur type theorem for time series," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 22-28.
- Wenjie Wang, 2012. "Bootstrapping Anderson-Rubin Statistic and J Statistic in Linear IV Models with Many Instruments," KIER Working Papers 810, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Jin, Baisuo & Wang, Cheng & Miao, Baiqi & Lo Huang, Mong-Na, 2009. "Limiting spectral distribution of large-dimensional sample covariance matrices generated by VARMA," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(9), pages 2112-2125, October.
- Robert, Christian Y. & Rosenbaum, Mathieu, 2010. "On the limiting spectral distribution of the covariance matrices of time-lagged processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(10), pages 2434-2451, November.
- Xinghua Zheng & Yingying Li, 2010. "On the estimation of integrated covariance matrices of high dimensional diffusion processes," Papers 1005.1862, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2012.
- Gao, Jiti & Pan, Guangming & Yang, Yanrong, 2012. "Testing Independence for a Large Number of High–Dimensional Random Vectors," MPRA Paper 45073, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Mar 2013.
- Rubio, Francisco & Mestre, Xavier, 2011. "Spectral convergence for a general class of random matrices," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(5), pages 592-602, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.