A review of hunger indices and methods to monitor country commitment to fighting hunger
AbstractSeveral indices measuring hunger and progress in achieving hunger eradication have been proposed in the literature. This paper reviews existing hunger indices and critically assesses their quality against a number of desirable properties. Hunger indices are found to be unsatisfactory in a number of ways: they ignore distributional issues; they neglect the occurrence of food and health shocks; and are sometimes based on unreliable data. Anthropometric measurements, stunting in particular, emerge as powerful indicators of hunger and are ideal for addressing a number of policy relevant issues. The paper also introduces a conceptual framework for an index measuring country commitment to fighting hunger. The constitutive elements of this index are illustrated: political will, anti-hunger policies and programmes. Suggestions are made on how a commitment index can be built and what are the data requirements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 36 (2011)
Issue (Month): Supplement 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Hunger Index Food security Anthropometry Commitment Political will;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- d'Agostino, Giorgio & Pieroni, Luca & Scarlato, Margherita, 2013. "Social Protection and Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa: An Evaluation of Cash Transfer Programmes," MPRA Paper 49536, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hartwig de Haen & Stephan Klasen & Matin Qaim, 2011.
"What do we really know? Metrics for food insecurity and undernutrition,"
Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers
88, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- de Haen, Hartwig & Klasen, Stephan & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "What do we really know? Metrics for food insecurity and undernutrition," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 760-769.
- Marilyne Huchet Bourdon & Catherine Laroche Dupraz & Anned-Linz Sénadin, 2013. "Impact du taux de change sur la sécurité alimentaire des pays en développement," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 13-10, INRA UMR SMART.
- te Lintelo, Dolf J.H. & Haddad, Lawrence J. & Leavy, Jennifer & Lakshman, Rajith, 2014. "Measuring the commitment to reduce hunger: A hunger reduction commitment index," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 115-128.
- Stein, Alexander J., 2013. "Rethinking the measurement of undernutrition in a broader health context: Should we look at possible causes or actual effects:," IFPRI discussion papers 1298, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.