A P.D.E. approach to Asian options: analytical and numerical evidence
AbstractWe first derive a one state variable partial differential equation, easy to emplement, which characterizes the price of a European type Asian option. This result is explained and related to previous literature. When we derive new results on the hedging of an Asian option and propose analytical and numerical analysis on the comparison between Asian and European options. Our methodology which applies to "fixed-strike" Asian options as well to "floating-strike" Asian options completes and clarifies various results in the literature. In this paper we focus on "backward-starting" Asian options. Our approach is quite general however, and we explain how to adapt our main results to the case of "forward-starting" Asian options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 21 (1997)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Other versions of this item:
- Alziary, B. & Decamps, J-P. & Koehl, P-F., 1996. "A P.D.E. Approach to Asian Options: Analytical and Numerical Evidence," Papers 96.430, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Bajeux, I. & Rochet, J.C., 1994.
"Dynamic Spanning: Are Options an Appropriate Instrument?,"
94.329, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Isabelle Bajeux-Besnainou & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1996. "Dynamic Spanning: Are Options An Appropriate Instrument?," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 1-16.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Valuing Derivative Securities Using the Explicit Finite Difference Method," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(01), pages 87-100, March.
- Hélyette Geman & Marc Yor, 1993. "Bessel Processes, Asian Options, And Perpetuities," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 349-375.
- Bouaziz, Laurent & Briys, Eric & Crouhy, Michel, 1994. "The pricing of forward-starting asian options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 823-839, October.
- Kemna, A. G. Z. & Vorst, A. C. F., 1990. "A pricing method for options based on average asset values," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 113-129, March.
- repec:fth:inseep:9338 is not listed on IDEAS
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Turnbull, Stuart M. & Wakeman, Lee Macdonald, 1991. "A Quick Algorithm for Pricing European Average Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 377-389, September.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Courtadon, Georges, 1982. "The Pricing of Options on Default-Free Bonds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 75-100, March.
- Shao, Renyuan & Roe, Brian E., 2002. "The Design And Pricing Of Fixed And Moving Window Contracts: An Application Of Asian-Basket Option Pricing Methods To The Hog Finishing Sector," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19823, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Boyle, Phelim & Draviam, Thangaraj, 2007. "Pricing exotic options under regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 267-282, March.
- Manuel Moreno & Javier F. Navas, 2003.
"Australian Asian Options,"
28, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Eric Benhamou & Alexandre Duguet, 2000. "A 2 Dimensional Pde For Discrete Asian Options," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 33, Society for Computational Economics.
- Nielsen, J.A. & Sandmann, K., 1998. "Asian Exchange Rate Options under Stochastic Interest Rates: Pricing as a Sum of Delayed Payment Options," Discussion Paper Serie B 431, University of Bonn, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.