Australian Asian options
AbstractWe study European options on the ratio of the stock price to its average and viceversa. Some of these options are traded in the Australian Stock Exchange since 1992, thus we call them Australian Asian options. For geometric averages, we obtain closed-form expressions for option prices. For arithmetic means, we use dierent approximations that produce very similar results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 680.
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Asian options; arithmetic average; geometric average; edgeworth expansion; lognormal distribution; gamma distribution;
Other versions of this item:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2004-05-26 (Finance)
- NEP-SEA-2004-05-16 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vorst, Ton, 1992. "Prices and hedge ratios of average exchange rate options," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 179-193.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"An asymptotic theory of growth under uncertainty,"
673-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- De Schepper, A. & Teunen, M. & Goovaerts, M., 1994. "An analytical inversion of a Laplace transform related to annuities certain," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 33-37, April.
- Asbjørn T. Hansen & Peter Løchte Jørgensen, 2000. "Analytical Valuation of American-Style Asian Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1116-1136, August.
- J. A. Nielsen & K. Sandmann, 1996.
"The pricing of Asian options under stochastic interest rates,"
Applied Mathematical Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 209-236.
- Nielsen, J. A. & K. Sandmann, 1995. "The Pricing of Asian Options under Stochastic Interest Rates," Discussion Paper Serie B 323, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Dec 1995.
- Nielsen, J.A. & Sandmann, K., 1998. "Asian Exchange Rate Options under Stochastic Interest Rates: Pricing as a Sum of Delayed Payment Options," Discussion Paper Serie B 431, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Nielsen, J. Aase & Sandmann, Klaus, 2003. "Pricing Bounds on Asian Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 449-473, June.
- Corwin Joy & Phelim P. Boyle & Ken Seng Tan, 1996. "Quasi-Monte Carlo Methods in Numerical Finance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(6), pages 926-938, June.
- Alziary, Benedicte & Decamps, Jean-Paul & Koehl, Pierre-Francois, 1997.
"A P.D.E. approach to Asian options: analytical and numerical evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 613-640, May.
- Alziary, B. & Decamps, J-P. & Koehl, P-F., 1996. "A P.D.E. Approach to Asian Options: Analytical and Numerical Evidence," Papers 96.430, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Turnbull, Stuart M. & Wakeman, Lee Macdonald, 1991. "A Quick Algorithm for Pricing European Average Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 377-389, September.
- Bouaziz, Laurent & Briys, Eric & Crouhy, Michel, 1994. "The pricing of forward-starting asian options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 823-839, October.
- Klaus Sandmann & J. Aase Nielsen, 2002. "Pricing of Asian exchange rate options under stochastic interest rates as a sum of options," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 355-370.
- Michael Curran, 1994. "Valuing Asian and Portfolio Options by Conditioning on the Geometric Mean Price," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(12), pages 1705-1711, December.
- Daniel Dufresne, 2000. "Laguerre Series for Asian and Other Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 407-428.
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982. "Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
- Milevsky, Moshe Arye & Posner, Steven E., 1998. "Asian Options, the Sum of Lognormals, and the Reciprocal Gamma Distribution," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 409-422, September.
- Peter Ritchken & L. Sankarasubramanian & Anand M. Vijh, 1993. "The Valuation of Path Dependent Contracts on the Average," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1202-1213, October.
- Yor, Marc, 1993. "From planar Brownian windings to Asian options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 23-34, September.
- Kemna, A. G. Z. & Vorst, A. C. F., 1990. "A pricing method for options based on average asset values," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 113-129, March.
- Levy, Edmond, 1992. "Pricing European average rate currency options," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 474-491, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.