Determinants of bank profitability before and during the crisis: Evidence from Switzerland
AbstractUsing the GMM estimator technique described by Arellano and Bover (1995), this paper analyzes the profitability of 372 commercial banks in Switzerland over the period from 1999 to 2009. To evaluate the impact of the recent financial crisis, we separately consider the pre-crisis period, 1999-2006, and the crisis years of 2007-2009. Our profitability determinants include bank-specific characteristics as well as industry-specific and macroeconomic factors, some of which have not been considered in previous studies. The inclusion of these additional factors as well as the separate consideration of the crisis years allow us to gain new insights into what determines the profitability of commercial banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money.
Volume (Year): 21 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin
Banking profitability Macroeconomic impact on banking profitability Financial crisis Market structure Ownership;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Manthos D. & Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I., 2008.
"Exploring the nexus between banking sector reform and performance: Evidence from newly acceded EU countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2674-2683, December.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Manthos D. Delis & Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2008. "Exploring the Nexus between Banking Sector Reform and Performance: Evidence from Newly Acceded EU Countries," Working Papers 73, Bank of Greece.
- N. Papanikolaou & M. Delis & S. Brissimis, 2008. "Exploring the nexus between banking sector reform and performance: Evidence from newly acceded EU countries," DEOS Working Papers 0917, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Short, Brock K., 1979. "The relation between commercial bank profit rates and banking concentration in Canada, Western Europe, and Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 209-219, September.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008.
"Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005. "Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability," Working Papers 25, Bank of Greece.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza & Monica Yañez, 2005.
"Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
356, Central Bank of Chile.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & Yanez, Monica, 2007. "Bank ownership and performance. Does politics matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 219-241, January.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & YaÃƒÂƒÃ‚Â±ez, Monica, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?," POLIS Working Papers 62, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Delis, Manthos & Staikouras, Christos, 2006.
"Determinants Of Bank Profitability In The South Eastern European Region,"
10274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Matthaios D. Delis & Christos K. Staikouras, 2006. "Determinants of Bank Profitability in the South Eastern European Region," Working Papers 47, Bank of Greece.
- Andrea Beltratti & René M. Stulz, 2009.
"Why Did Some Banks Perform Better During the Credit Crisis? A Cross-Country Study of the Impact of Governance and Regulation,"
NBER Working Papers
15180, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Stulz, Rene M., 2009. "Why Did Some Banks Perform Better during the Credit Crisis? A Cross-Country Study of the Impact of Governance and Regulation," Working Paper Series 2009-12, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Berger, Allen N. & Bonime, Seth D. & Covitz, Daniel M. & Hancock, Diana, 2000.
"Why are bank profits so persistent? The roles of product market competition, informational opacity, and regional/macroeconomic shocks,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1203-1235, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Seth D. Bonime & Daniel M. Covitz & Diana Hancock, 1999. "Why are bank profits so persistent: the roles of product market competition, informational opacity, and regional/macroeconomic shocks," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-28, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- García-Herrero, Alicia & Gavilá, Sergio & Santabárbara, Daniel, 2009.
"What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2080-2092, November.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Daniel Santabarbara & Sergio Gavila, 2009. "What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks?," Working Papers 0909, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Sergio Gavilá & Daniel Santabárbara, 2009. "What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0910, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ugo Albertazzi & Leonardo Gambacorta, 2006.
"Bank profitability and the business cycle,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
601, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2006.
"Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125498, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- Beck, Thorsten & Cull, Robert & Jerome, Afeikhena, 2005.
"Bank privatization and performance - emprical evidence from Nigeria,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3511, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten & Cull, Robert & Jerome, Afeikhena, 2005. "Bank privatization and performance: Empirical evidence from Nigeria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2355-2379, August.
- Beck, H.T.L. & Cull, R. & Jerome, A., 2005. "Bank privatization and performance: Empirical evidence from Nigeria," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125503, Tilburg University.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Allen N. Berger & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1986.
"Competitive viability in banking: scale, scope, and product mix economies,"
Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Hanweck, Gerald A. & Humphrey, David B., 1987. "Competitive viability in banking : Scale, scope, and product mix economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 501-520, December.
- Bertrand Rime & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2001.
"The Performance of Universal Banks: Evidence from Switzerland,"
01.03, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Rime, Bertrand & Stiroh, Kevin J., 2003. "The performance of universal banks: Evidence from Switzerland," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 2121-2150, November.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1992. "Determinants of European bank profitability: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 1173-1178, December.
- Michelle Clark Neely & David C. Wheelock, 1997. "Why does bank performance vary across states?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 27-40.
- Bourke, Philip, 1989. "Concentration and other determinants of bank profitability in Europe, North America and Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-79, March.
- Yingbin Xiao, 2009. "French Banks Amid the Global Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/201, International Monetary Fund.
- Pasiouras, Fotios & Kosmidou, Kyriaki, 2007. "Factors influencing the profitability of domestic and foreign commercial banks in the European Union," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 222-237, June.
- Werner Hermann & Martin Maurer, 1991. "Kostenvorteile im schweizerischen Universalbankensystem," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 127(III), pages 563-578, September.
- Smirlock, Michael, 1985. "Evidence on the (Non) Relationship between Concentration and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, February.
- Iannotta, Giuliano & Nocera, Giacomo & Sironi, Andrea, 2007. "Ownership structure, risk and performance in the European banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2127-2149, July.
- Harris, Oneil & Huerta, Daniel & Ngo, Thanh, 2013. "The impact of TARP on bank efficiency," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 85-104.
- Adeline Saillard & Thomas Url, 2013. "Measuring and Testing Complementarity and Co-evolution in Financial Systems," WIFO Working Papers 457, WIFO.
- Sergio SANFILIPPO AZOFRA & Maria CANTERO SAIZ & Begona TORRE OLMO & Carlos LOPEZ GUTIERREZ, 2013. "Financial Crises, Concentration and Efficiency: Effects on Performance and Risk of Banks," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 63(6), pages 537-558, December.
- Muhamad Muda & Amir Shaharuddin & Abdelhakim Embaya, 2013. "Comparative Analysis of Profitability Determinants of Domestic and Foreign Islamic Banks in Malaysia," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 559-569.
- Fredriksson, Antti & Moro, Andrea, 2014. "Bank–SMEs relationships and banks’ risk-adjusted profitability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 67-77.
- Malgorzata A. Olszak & Mateusz Pipieñ, . "Cross country linkages as determinants of procyclicality of loan loss provisions – empirical importance of SURE specification," Faculty of Management Working Paper Series, University of Warsaw, Faculty of Management.
- Hao Fang & Yang-Cheng Lu & Chi-Wei Su, 2013. "Impact of the Subprime Crisis on Commercial Banksâ€™ Financial Performance," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 60(5), pages 593-614, September.
- Olszak, Małgorzata & Pipień, Mateusz & Kowalska, Iwona & Roszkowska, Sylwia, 2014. "What drives heterogeneity of loan loss provisions’ procyclicality in the EU?," MPRA Paper 56834, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sun, Jerry & Liu, Guoping, 2014. "Audit committees’ oversight of bank risk-taking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 376-387.
- Hoque, Hafiz, 2013. "From the credit crisis to the sovereign debt crisis: Determinants of share price performance of global banks," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 334-350.
- Angela Roman ‘Alexandru Ioan Cuza‘ University of Iasi & Adina Elena Danuletiu, 2013. "An Empirical Analysis Of The Determinants Of Bank Profitability In Romania," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 2(15), pages 23.
- Olszak, Małgorzata & Pipień, Mateusz, 2013. "Cross Country Linkages as Determinants of Procyclicality of Loan Loss Provisions – Empirical Importance of SURE Specification," MPRA Paper 53784, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alin Marius ANDRIES & Vasile COCRIS & Silviu Gabriel URSU, 2012. "Determinants Of Bank Performance In Cee Countries," Review of Economic and Business Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 10, pages 165-177, December.
- Tomola Marshal Obamuyi, 2013. "Determinants Of Banksâ€™ Profitability In A Developing Economy: Evidence From Nigeria," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 4(2).
- Pichaphop Chalermchatvichien & Seksak Jumreornvong & Pornsit Jiraporn & Manohar Singh, 2014. "The Effect of Bank Ownership Concentration on Capital Adequacy, Liquidity, and Capital Stability," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 219-240, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.