Rate of return parity and currency crises in experimental asset markets
AbstractThis paper explores the impact of exchange rate uncertainty on the predictive power of rate of return parity in a laboratory environment, extending the work of Fisher and Kelly [Fisher, E.O., Kelly, F.S., 2000. Experimental foreign exchange markets. Pacific Economic Review 5, 365-388] and Childs and Mestelman [Childs, J., Mestelman, S., 2006. Rate of return parity in experimental asset markets. Review of International Economics 14, 331-347]. While these works use unchanging exchange rates, this paper allows for a change in the exchange rate between laboratory currencies. The data indicate rate of return parity is weakened by the potential for a currency crisis. The results also indicate that currency crises can be caused by self-fulfilling prophecies and that the level of reserves with which a fixed exchange rate is defended impacts the timing of a crisis but does not significantly change the likelihood of a currency crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money.
Volume (Year): 19 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin
Currency crisis Rate of return parity Experiment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986.
"Rational and Self-fulfilling Balance-of-Payments Crises,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 72-81, March.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1986. "Rational and Self-Fulfilling Balance-of-Payments Crises," NBER Working Papers 1486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1999.
"Open-Economy Macroeconomics, Developments in Theory and Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
6319, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1998. " Open-Economy Macroeconomics: Developments in Theory and Policy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 247-75, March.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1997. "Open-Economy Macroeconomics: Developments in Theory and Policy," Working Papers 958, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Smith, Vernon L & Suchanek, Gerry L & Williams, Arlington W, 1988. "Bubbles, Crashes, and Endogenous Expectations in Experimental Spot Asset Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1119-51, September.
- Mendoza, Ronald U., 2004. "International reserve-holding in the developing world: self insurance in a crisis-prone era?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 61-82, March.
- Alain P. Chaboud & Jonathan H. Wright, 2003.
"Uncovered interest parity: it works, but not for long,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
752, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Chaboud, Alain P. & Wright, Jonathan H., 2005. "Uncovered interest parity: it works, but not for long," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 349-362, July.
- Suheyla Ozyildirim & Bulent Yaman, 2005. "Optimal versus adequate level of international reserves: evidence for Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(13), pages 1557-1569.
- Jason Childs & Stuart Mestelman, 2004.
"Rate of Return Parity in Experimental Asset Markets,"
McMaster Experimental Economics Laboratory Publications
2004-07, McMaster University.
- Jason Childs & Stuart Mestelman, 2006. "Rate-of-return Parity in Experimental Asset Markets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 331-347, 08.
- Jason Childs & Stuart Mestelman, 2004. "Rate of Return Parity in Experimental Asset Markets," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-01, McMaster University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.