Analysis of the expected discounted penalty function for a general jump-diffusion risk model and applications in finance
AbstractIn this paper, we extend the Cramér-Lundberg risk model perturbed by diffusion to incorporate the jumps of surplus investment return. Under the assumption that the jump of surplus investment return follows a compound Poisson process with Laplace distributed jump sizes, we obtain the explicit closed-form expression of the resulting Gerber-Shiu expected discounted penalty (EDP) function through the Wiener-Hopf factorization technique instead of the integro-differential equation approach. Especially, when the claim distribution is of Phase-type, the expression of the EDP function is simplified even further as a compact matrix-type form. Finally, the financial applications include pricing barrier option and perpetual American put option and determining the optimal capital structure of a firm with endogenous default.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Gerber-Shiu expected discounted penalty function Wiener-Hopf factorization Perturbed compound Poisson risk process Laplace distribution Perpetual American put option Barrier option Optimal capital structure;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, X. Sheldon & Willmot, Gordon E., 2000. "The moments of the time of ruin, the surplus before ruin, and the deficit at ruin," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 19-44, August.
- Ren, Jiandong, 2005. "The expected value of the time of ruin and the moments of the discounted deficit at ruin in the perturbed classical risk process," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 505-521, December.
- A. Kyprianou & B. Surya, 2007. "Principles of smooth and continuous fit in the determination of endogenous bankruptcy levels," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 131-152, January.
- Dufresne, Francois & Gerber, Hans U., 1991. "Risk theory for the compound Poisson process that is perturbed by diffusion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 51-59, March.
- Yu-Ting Chen & Cheng-Few Lee & Yuan-Chung Sheu, 2007. "An ODE approach for the expected discounted penalty at ruin in a jump-diffusion model," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 323-355, July.
- Bianca Hilberink & L.C.G. Rogers, 2002. "Optimal capital structure and endogenous default," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 237-263.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1994.
"Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-233, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1994. " Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1213-52, September.
- S. G. Kou & Hui Wang, 2004. "Option Pricing Under a Double Exponential Jump Diffusion Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(9), pages 1178-1192, September.
- Gerber, Hans U. & Landry, Bruno, 1998. "On the discounted penalty at ruin in a jump-diffusion and the perpetual put option," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 263-276, July.
- Asmussen, Søren & Avram, Florin & Pistorius, Martijn R., 2004. "Russian and American put options under exponential phase-type Lévy models," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 79-111, January.
- Lin, X. Sheldon & Willmot, Gordon E., 1999. "Analysis of a defective renewal equation arising in ruin theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 63-84, September.
- S. G. Kou, 2002. "A Jump-Diffusion Model for Option Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 1086-1101, August.
- Bo, Lijun & Song, Renming & Tang, Dan & Wang, Yongjin & Yang, Xuewei, 2012. "Lévy risk model with two-sided jumps and a barrier dividend strategy," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 280-291.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.