Russian and American put options under exponential phase-type Lévy models
AbstractConsider the American put and Russian option (Ann. Appl. Probab. 3 (1993) 603; Theory Probab. Appl. 39 (1994) 103; Ann. Appl. Probab. 3 (1993) 641) with the stock price modeled as an exponential Lévy process. We find an explicit expression for the price in the dense class of Lévy processes with phase-type jumps in both directions. The solution rests on the reduction to the first passage time problem for (reflected) Lévy processes and on an explicit solution of the latter in the phase-type case via martingale stopping and Wiener-Hopf factorization. The same type of approach is also applied to the more general class of regime switching Lévy processes with phase-type jumps.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 109 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eugene F. Fama, 1965. "Portfolio Analysis in a Stable Paretian Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(3), pages 404-419, January.
- Carr, Peter, 1998. "Randomization and the American Put," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 597-626.
- Rama Cont & Marc Potters & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 1997.
"Scaling in stock market data: stable laws and beyond,"
- Rama Cont & Marc Potters & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 1997. "Scaling in stock market data: stable laws and beyond," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 9705087, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Søren Asmussen, 2000. "Matrix-analytic Models and their Analysis," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 193-226.
- Eugene F. Fama, 1963. "Mandelbrot and the Stable Paretian Hypothesis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 420.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Ernesto Mordecki, 2002. "Optimal stopping and perpetual options for Lévy processes," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 473-493.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "New Methods in Statistical Economics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 421.
- Ivanovs, Jevgenijs & Boxma, Onno & Mandjes, Michel, 2010. "Singularities of the matrix exponent of a Markov additive process with one-sided jumps," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 120(9), pages 1776-1794, August.
- Ivanovs, Jevgenijs, 2013. "A note on killing with applications in risk theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 29-34.
- Bo, Lijun & Song, Renming & Tang, Dan & Wang, Yongjin & Yang, Xuewei, 2012. "Lévy risk model with two-sided jumps and a barrier dividend strategy," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 280-291.
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Kyprianou, Andreas E. & Yamazaki, Kazutoshi, 2014. "Optimal dividends in the dual model under transaction costs," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 133-143.
- Boyarchenko, Svetlana & Levendorskii, Sergei, 2008. "Exit problems in regime-switching models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 180-206, January.
- Boyarchenko, Svetlana & Levendorskii, Sergei, 2010. "Optimal stopping in Levy models, for non-monotone discontinuous payoffs," MPRA Paper 27999, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bo, Lijun & Yang, Xuewei, 2012. "Sequential maximum likelihood estimation for reflected generalized Ornstein–Uhlenbeck processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(7), pages 1374-1382.
- Fourati, Sonia, 2012. "Explicit solutions of the exit problem for a class of Lévy processes; applications to the pricing of double-barrier options," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 122(3), pages 1034-1067.
- Hansjörg Albrecher & Jevgenijs Ivanovs, 2013. "A Risk Model with an Observer in a Markov Environment," Risks, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(3), pages 148-161, November.
- Gerber, Hans U. & Shiu, Elias S.W. & Yang, Hailiang, 2013. "Valuing equity-linked death benefits in jump diffusion models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 615-623.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Panayotov, George, 2010. "First-passage probability, jump models, and intra-horizon risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 20-40, January.
- Christensen, Sören & Irle, Albrecht, 2009. "A note on pasting conditions for the American perpetual optimal stopping problem," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 349-353, February.
- Xing, Xiaoyu & Zhang, Wei & Jiang, Yiming, 2008. "On the time to ruin and the deficit at ruin in a risk model with double-sided jumps," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(16), pages 2692-2699, November.
- Kuznetsov, A. & Peng, X., 2012. "On the Wiener–Hopf factorization for Lévy processes with bounded positive jumps," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 122(7), pages 2610-2638.
- Chi, Yichun, 2010. "Analysis of the expected discounted penalty function for a general jump-diffusion risk model and applications in finance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 385-396, April.
- Florian Kleinert & Kees van Schaik, 2013. "A variation of the Canadisation algorithm for the pricing of American options driven by L\'evy processes," Papers 1304.4534, arXiv.org.
- Doney, Ron & Maller, Ross & Savov, Mladen, 2009. "Renewal theorems and stability for the reflected process," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(4), pages 1270-1297, April.
- Hao, Xuemiao & Li, Xuan & Shimizu, Yasutaka, 2013. "Finite-time survival probability and credit default swaps pricing under geometric Lévy markets," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 14-23.
- Jukka Lempa, 2006. "On Infinite Horizon Optimal Stopping of General Random Walk," Discussion Papers 3, Aboa Centre for Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.