Optimal capital structure and endogenous default
AbstractIn a sequence of fascinating papers, Leland and Leland and Toft have investigated various properties of the debt and credit of a firm which keeps a constant profile of debt and chooses its bankruptcy level endogenously, to maximise the value of the equity. One feature of these papers is that the credit spreads tend to zero as the maturity tends to zero, and this is not a feature which is observed in practice. This defect of the modelling is related to the diffusion assumptions made in the papers referred to; in this paper, we take a model for the value of the firm's assets which allows for jumps, and find that the spreads do not go to zero as maturity goes to zero. The modelling is quite delicate, but it just works; analysis takes us a long way, and for the final steps we have to resort to numerical methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Finance and Stochastics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/101164/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice, Investment, Capacity, and Financing
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Duffie, Darrell, 2003. "Intertemporal asset pricing theory," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 639-742 Elsevier.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergei Levendorskii, 2004.
"American options: the EPV pricing model,"
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergey Levendorskiy, 2004.
"Optimal stopping made easy,"
- Masahiko Egami & Kazutoshi Yamazaki, 2010. "Precautionary Measures for Credit Risk Management in Jump Models," Discussion papers e-10-001, Graduate School of Economics Project Center, Kyoto University.
- Flavia Barsotti, 2012. "Optimal Capital Structure with Endogenous Default and Volatility Risk," Working Papers - Mathematical Economics 2012-02, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Jianping Fu & Xingchun Wang & Yongjin Wang, 2012. "Credit spreads, endogenous bankruptcy and liquidity risk," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 515-530, November.
- Abel Elizalde, 2006. "Credit Risk Models Ii: Structural Models," Working Papers wp2006_0606, CEMFI.
- Chuancun Yin & Yuzhen Wen & Ying Shen, 2013. "The first passage time problem for mixed-exponential jump processes with applications in insurance and finance," Papers 1302.6762, arXiv.org.
- Olivier Le Courtois & François Quittard-Pinon, 2006. "Risk-neutral and actual default probabilities with an endogenous bankruptcy jump-diffusion model," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 11-39, March.
- Gechun Liang & Eva L\"utkebohmert & Wei Wei, 2012. "Funding Liquidity, Debt Tenor Structure, and Creditor's Belief: An Exogenous Dynamic Debt Run Model," Papers 1209.3513, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2013.
- Alexander Lipton & Ioana Savescu, 2012. "Pricing credit default swaps with bilateral value adjustments," Papers 1207.6049, arXiv.org.
- Olivier Le Courtois & François Quittard-Pinon, 2008. "The optimal capital structure of the firm with stable Lévy assets returns," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 51-72, May.
- Chi, Yichun, 2010. "Analysis of the expected discounted penalty function for a general jump-diffusion risk model and applications in finance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 385-396, April.
- Décamps, Jean-Paul & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2009. "Rethinking Dynamic Capital Structure Models with Roll-Over Debt," IDEI Working Papers 528, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Nov 2011.
- Egami, Masahiko & Leung, Tim & Yamazaki, Kazutoshi, 2013.
"Default swap games driven by spectrally negative Lévy processes,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 347-384.
- Masahiko Egami & Tim S. T. Leung & Kazutoshi Yamazaki, 2011. "Default Swap Games Driven by Spectrally Negative Levy Processes," Papers 1105.0238, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2012.
- Ronkainen , Vesa, 2012. "Stochastic modeling of financing longevity risk in pension insurance," Scientific Monographs E:44/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Budhi Arta Surya & Kazutoshi Yamazaki, 2011. "Optimal Capital Structure with Scale Effects under Spectrally Negative Levy Models," Papers 1109.0897, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2013.
- Nyström, Kaj, 2008. "On deposit volumes and the valuation of non-maturing liabilities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 709-756, March.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergei Levendorskii, 2004. "Universal bad news principle and pricing of options on dividend-paying assets," Papers cond-mat/0404108, arXiv.org.
- Coculescu, Delia, 2011. "Dividends and leverage: How to optimally exploit a non-renewable investment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 312-329, March.
- Nystrom, Kaj & Skoglund, Jimmy, 2006. "A credit risk model for large dimensional portfolios with application to economic capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2163-2197, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.