Universal service obligations: The role of subsidization schemes
AbstractA universal service obligation (USO) that imposes ubiquity and uniform pricing constraints generally creates strategic links among markets served by the universal service provider (USP). In this paper, we show that adding a unit subsidy in the compensation scheme of a USO helps to counteract the inefficiencies that result from these strategic links. Welfare obtained under different implementations of the USO depends on whether use of the unit subsidy is limited or not. In this respect, franchise bidding for the USO, where firms submit bids for lump-sum subsidies, is welfare-dominated by the exogenous choice of the USP and by pay-or-play regulation. Similarly, the second-best allocation can be attained through the endogenous choice of the USP's geographic area of monopoly, provided the unit subsidy instrument is available.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Information Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 21 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505549
Universal service obligations Regulation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mirabel, Francois & Poudou, Jean-Christophe, 2004.
"Mechanisms of funding for Universal Service Obligations: the electricity case,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 801-823, September.
- Laura Ilie & Ramiro Losada, 2004. "Endogenous Financing Of The Universal Service," Economics Working Papers we044116, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Chone, Philippe & Flochel, Laurent & Perrot, Anne, 2000. "Universal service obligations and competition," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 249-259, September.
- Valletti, Tommaso M & Hoernig, Steffen & Barros, Pedro P, 2002.
"Universal Service and Entry: The Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 169-90, March.
- Hoernig, Steffen & Pita Barros, Pedro Luis & Valletti, Tommaso, 2001. "Universal Service and Entry: the Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 2789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark Armstrong, 2001. "Access Pricing, Bypass, and Universal Service," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 297-301, May.
- Anton, James J. & Vander Weide, James H. & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2002. "Entry auctions and strategic behavior under cross-market price constraints," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 611-629, May.
- Chone, Philippe & Flochel, Laurent & Perrot, Anne, 2002. "Allocating and funding universal service obligations in a competitive market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1247-1276, November.
- Steffen H. Hoernig & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2002. "The Interplay Between Regulation and Competitions: The Case of Universal Service Obligations," CESifo Working Paper Series 682, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gautier, Axel & Wauthy, Xavier, 2012.
"Competitively neutral universal service obligations,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 254-261.
- Axel Gautier & Xavier Wauthy, 2010. "Competitively Neutral Universal Service Obligations," CREPP Working Papers 1008, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- GAUTIER, Axel & WAUTHY, Xavier, 2010. "Competitively neutral universal service obligations," CORE Discussion Papers 2010061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GAUTIER, Axel & WAUTHY, Xavier Yves, . "Competitively neutral universal service obligations," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2455, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wauthy, Xavier, 2012. "competitively neutral universal service obligation," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.3/118977, Université catholique de Louvain.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.