How international are the international business journals?
AbstractIn their assessment of research published in three international business journals, Thomas, Shenkar, and Clarke (1994) described a body of work characterized by low levels of internationalization We extend their research by reviewing 1439 articles published from 2000 to 2008 in four core international business journals Although we find that the shadow of US dominance continues to lie over the field, we also find evidence of increasing research and authorship diversity Although the representation of nations is uneven and cultural diversity levels remain low, we conclude that international business research has entered a new era of research internationalism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Zhilin & Wang, Xuehua & Su, Chenting, 2006. "A review of research methodologies in international business," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 601-617, December.
- Barbara Pierce & Garnet Garven, 1995. "Publishing International Business Research: A Survey of Leading Journals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(1), pages 69-89, March.
- Anisya S Thomas & Oded Shenkar & Linda Clarke, 1994. "The Globalization of our Mental Maps: Evaluating the Geographic Scope of JIBS Coverage," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(4), pages 675-686, December.
- Kam C Chan & Hung-Gay Fung & Pikki Lai, 2005. "Membership of editorial boards and rankings of schools with international business orientation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(4), pages 452-469, July.
- Anne-Wil Harzing, 2008. "Arbitrary decisions in ranking studies: A commentary on Xu, Yalcinkaya, and Seggie (2008)," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 685-689, December.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Shichun Xu & Goksel Yalcinkaya & Steven Seggie, 2008. "Prolific authors and institutions in leading international business journals," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 189-207, June.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- David A Waldman & Mary Sully de Luque & Nathan Washburn & Robert J House & Bolanle Adetoun & Angel Barrasa & Mariya Bobina & Muzaffer Bodur & Yi-Jung Chen & Sukhendu Debbarma & Peter Dorfman & Rosemar, 2006. "Cultural and leadership predictors of corporate social responsibility values of top management: a GLOBE study of 15 countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 823-837, November.
- Allen J Morrison & Andrew C Inkpen, 1991. "An Analysis of Significant Contributions to the International Business Literature," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 143-153, March.
- Chan, Kam C. & Fung, Hung-Gay & Leung, Wai K., 2006. "International business research: Trends and school rankings," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 317-338, August.
- World Bank, 2009. "World Development Indicators 2009," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4367, February.
- Frank L DuBois & David Reeb, 2000. "Ranking the International Business Journals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 689-704, December.
- Andrew C Inkpen & Paul W Beamish, 1994. "An Analysis of Twenty-Five Years of Research in the Journal of International Business Studies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(4), pages 703-713, December.
- Van den waeyenberg, Sofie & Hens, Luc, 2012. "Overcoming institutional distance: Expansion to base-of-the-pyramid markets," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(12), pages 1692-1699.
- Zhan, Ge, 2013. "Statistical power in international business research: Study levels and data types," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 678-686.
- Karjalainen, Katri & Salmi, Asta, 2013. "Continental differences in purchasing strategies and tools," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 112-125.
- Dixon, Keith, 2013. "Growth and dispersion of accounting research about New Zealand before and during a National Research Assessment Exercise: Five decades of academic journals bibliometrics," MPRA Paper 51100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.