The growth of alliances in the knowledge-based economy
AbstractThe prime objective of this article is to identify the environmental and regulatory conditions which have fostered the rapid growth of alliances. By "alliance" we include all cooperative arrangements -- from "relational contracting" to equity joint ventures. Far from a transient fad, or slowing down, as some observers predicted, the rate of alliance formation may even be picking up in an economy based on ideas rather than material objects. An economy of objects emphasizes mass production, internalized ownership, control and vertical integration. An economy based on knowledge favors customization, flexibility, rapid response and dis-internalization or deconstruction of the value chain. This article shows how this trend favors alliances, as different pieces of the value chain under different ownership may increasingly cooperate with each other. The article traces the role of information technology and the underlying regulatory, economic and competitive conditions that are fostering the creation of alliances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 11 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gould, David M. & Gruben, William C., 1996. "The role of intellectual property rights in economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 323-350, March.
- Oxley, Joanne E., 1999. "Institutional environment and the mechanisms of governance: the impact of intellectual property protection on the structure of inter-firm alliances," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 283-309, March.
- Ginarte, Juan C. & Park, Walter G., 1997. "Determinants of patent rights: A cross-national study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-301, October.
- Farok J Contractor & Sumit K Kundu, 1998. "Modal Choice in a World of Alliances: Analyzing Organizational Forms in the International Hotel Sector," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 325-356, June.
- John H Dunning, 1980. "Towards an Eclectic Theory of International Production: Some Empirical Tests," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(1), pages 9-31, March.
- Mowery, David C. & Oxley, Joanne E. & Silverman, Brian S., 1998. "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation: implications for the resource-based view of the firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 507-523, September.
- Greis, Noel P. & Dibner, Mark D. & Bean, Alden S., 1995. "External partnering as a response to innovation barriers and global competition in biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 609-630, July.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Kogut, Bruce & Walker, Gordon & Kim, Dong-Jae, 1995. "Cooperation and entry induction as an extension of technological rivalry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 77-95, January.
- Richard E Caves, 1998. "Research on International Business: Problems and Prospects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 5-19, March.
- Sylvia Ostry, 1998. "Technology, Productivity and the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 85-99, March.
- Lars Frederiksen & Silvia Rita Sedita, 2005. "Embodied Knowledge Transfer Comparing inter-firm labor mobility in the music industry and manufacturing industries," DRUID Working Papers 05-14, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Deeken, Michael, 2014. "Merkmale zukunftsfähiger Unternehmen: Erkenntnisse am Beispiel der Vermögensverwaltungsbranche," Arbeitspapiere der FOM 44, FOM Hochschule für Oekonomie & Management.
- Karine Roux, 2008. "Co-évolution entre capital social et connaissances créées dans les partenariats d’impartition de compétences," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 11(3), pages 9-44, September.
- Lee, Hyunchul & Kim, Dukyong & Seo, Minkyo, 2013. "Market valuation of marketing alliances in East Asia: Korean evidence," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2492-2499.
- Vapola, Terhi Johanna & Paukku, Markus & Gabrielsson, Mika, 2010. "Portfolio management of strategic alliances: An international business perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 247-260, June.
- Malik, Tariq, 2012. "Disparate association between alliance social capital and the global pharmaceutical firm's performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1017-1028.
- Mazzola, Erica & Perrone, Giovanni, 2013. "A strategic needs perspective on operations outsourcing and other inter-firm relationships," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 256-267.
- Ulijn, J.M. & Duysters, G.M. & Schaezlein, R. & Remer, S., 2003.
"Culture and its perception in strategic alliances, does it affect the performance? An exploratory study into Dutch-German ventures,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
03.05, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Ulijn, J.M. & Duysters, G.M. & Schaezlein, R. & Remer, S., 2003. "Culture and its perception in strategic alliances, does it affect the performance? An exploratory study into Dutch-German ventures," Working Papers 03.05, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Hanna Kuittinen & Kalevi Kyläheiko & Jaana Sandström & Ari Jantunen, 2009. "Cooperation governance mode: an extended transaction cost approach," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 303-323, November.
- Hallikas, Jukka & Varis, Jari & Sissonen, Heli & Virolainen, Veli-Matti, 2008. "The evolution of the network structure in the ICT sector," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 296-304, October.
- Marcela Porporato, 2009. "Timing and drivers of management control systems in joint ventures: The effect on JV survival," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(4), pages 247-274, November.
- Iavor Marangozov, 2013. "Realization of the Anticompetitive Potential of Joint Ventures in Bulgaria (1991-2010)," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 37-67.
- Erkut ALTINDAG & Merve KARKACIER, 2014. "The Effect of Business Firms’ International Activities on the Firm Performance: A Central Black Sea Region Case," International Review of Management and Marketing, Econjournals, vol. 4(2), pages 108-122.
- Pak, Yong Suhk & Ra, Wonchan & Park, Young-Ryeol, 2009. "Understanding IJV performance in a learning and conflict mediated context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 470-480, October.
- Matteo Migheli, 2013. "Relational capital, profitability and access to credit: evidence from a sample of Italian small firms," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 60(2), pages 221-233, June.
- Paul Miesing & Mark Kriger & Neil Slough, 2007. "Towards a model of effective knowledge transfer within transnationals: The case of Chinese foreign invested enterprises," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 109-122, April.
- Lichtenthaler, Ulrich, 2009. "Product business, foreign direct investment, and licensing: Examining their relationships in international technology exploitation," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 407-420, October.
- Lasse Torkkeli & Kaisu Puumalainen & Sami Saarenketo & Olli Kuivalainen, 2012. "The effect of network competence and environmental hostility on the internationalization of SMEs," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 25-49, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.