Outcomes of family involvement in minority owned family businesses
AbstractThis article applies the resource based view (RBV) of the firm to examine the role of family involvement in family, minority owned SMEs and its impact on owner, business and family outcomes. Our nationally representative sample encompasses four groups of entrepreneurs: White, African-American, Korean-American and Mexican-American. Findings show significant differences across the four groups in the three measures of family involvement including the proportion of family members employed in the business, degree of family reciprocal altruism toward the business and degree of financial involvement in the business. Family involvement in the business is also shown to impact owner, business and family outcomes differently across the four groups. Implications for research and practice are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Family Business Strategy.
Volume (Year): 4 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/719791/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marianne Bertrand & Antoinette Schoar, 2006. "The Role of Family in Family Firms," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 73-96, Spring.
- Ken S. Cavalluzzo, 2002. "Competition, Small Business Financing, and Discrimination: Evidence from a New Survey," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(4), pages 641-680, October.
- Yilmazer, Tansel & Schrank, Holly, 2006. "Financial intermingling in small family businesses," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 726-751, September.
- Jean-Luc Arregle & Michael A. Hitt & David G. Sirmon & Philippe Very, 2007. "The Development of Organizational Social Capital: Attributes of Family Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 73-95, 01.
- Lois M. Shelton & Sharon M. Danes & Micki Eisenman, 2008. "Role Demands, Difficulty In Managing Work-Family Conflict, And Minority Entrepreneurs," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(03), pages 315-342.
- Robert W. Fairlie & Alicia M. Robb, 2007.
"Why Are Black-Owned Businesses Less Successful than White-Owned Businesses? The Role of Families, Inheritances, and Business Human Capital,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 25, pages 289-323.
- Robert Fairlie & Alicia Robb, 2005. "Why Are Black-Owned Businesses Less Successful than White-Owned Businesses? The Role of Families, Inheritances, and Business Human Capital," Working Papers 05-06, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Fairlie, Robert W. & Robb, Alicia, 2004. "Why Are Black-Owned Businesses Less Successful than White-Owned Businesses? The Role of Families, Inheritances, and Business Human Capital," IZA Discussion Papers 1292, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fairlie, Robert W & Robb, Alicia M., 2005. "Why Are Black-Owned Businesses Less Successful than White-Owned Businesses? The Role of Families, Inheritances, and Business Human Capital," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5gk2188g, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Olson, Patricia D. & Zuiker, Virginia S. & Danes, Sharon M. & Stafford, Kathryn & Heck, Ramona K. Z. & Duncan, Karen A., 2003. "The impact of the family and the business on family business sustainability," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 639-666, September.
- Sharon M. Danes & Jinhee Lee & Kathryn Stafford & Ramona Kay Zachary Heck, 2008. "The Effects Of Ethnicity, Families And Culture On Entrepreneurial Experience: An Extension Of Sustainable Family Business Theory," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(03), pages 229-268.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Cynthis Bansak & Susan Pozo, 2005. "On the remitting patterns of immigrants: evidence from Mexican survey data," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 1, pages 37-58.
- GEORGE W. HAYNES & JOSEPH I. ONOCHIE & MYUNG-SOO LEE & AlVIN N. PURYEAR & EDWARD G. ROGOFF & RAMONA K. Z. HECK, 2009. "Financial Intermingling In Korean-American And Mexican-American Small Businesses," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(03), pages 297-310.
- Rajbhandary, Anuja, 1996. "Protecting trade secrets through family businesses: A case study on Nepal," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 483-490, December.
- Becker, Gary S, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1063-93, Nov.-Dec..
- Paul Kuck & Robert Townsend & Philip Bond, 1999. "How do minorities fund small business start-ups? Two Chicago neighborhoods offer insight," The Region, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sep, pages 10-13,26.
- Kimberly A. Eddleston & Franz Willi Kellermanns & Ravi Sarathy, 2008. "Resource Configuration in Family Firms: Linking Resources, Strategic Planning and Technological Opportunities to Performance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 26-50, 01.
- Zahra, Shaker A., 2003. "International expansion of U.S. manufacturing family businesses: the effect of ownership and involvement," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 495-512, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.