Semi-radial technical efficiency measurement
AbstractSemi-radial efficiency measurement combines technical efficiency, as captured by the classical Farrell measure, with an economically meaningful mix efficiency component. The semi-radial evaluation we propose proceeds in two steps. First, we build on the price interpretation of the generally accepted Koopmans efficiency notion to characterize appropriate benchmarks. Next, we present both a quantity-based distance measure and its dual (price-based) equivalent to evaluate the mix efficiency factor. The type of measures we propose may, e.g., be used to provide a price rationale for the Zieschang technical efficiency evaluation procedure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 193 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Koopmans technical efficiency Farrell measure Indication problem Mix efficiency Shadow price interpretation Data envelopment analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, September.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Tom VAN PUYENBROECK, 1999.
"Product Mixes as Objects of Choice in Nonparametric Efficiency Measurement,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces9901, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2001. "Product mixes as objects of choice in non-parametric efficiency measurement," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 287-295, July.
- Laurens Cherchye & Tom Vanpuyenbroeck, 1999. "Product mixes as objects of choice in nonparametric efficiency measurement," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces9901, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Salnykov, Mykhaylo & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2005. "On the Commensurability of Directional Distance Functions," MPRA Paper 7068, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2005. "Profitability of a sample of Portuguese bank branches and its decomposition into technical and allocative components," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 850-866, May.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Lovell, C A Knox, 1983. " The Structure of Technical Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 181-90.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Zieschang, Kimberly D., 1984. "An extended farrell technical efficiency measure," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 387-396, August.
- Genius, Margarita & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2012. "Measuring productivity growth under factor non-substitution: An application to US steam-electric power generation utilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 844-852.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.