Airfreight forwarder shipment planning: A mixed 0-1 model and managerial issues in the integration and consolidation of shipments
AbstractThe planning and management of air cargo logistics is a complex endeavor, involving collaboration of multiple logistics agents to deliver shipments timely, safely and economically. Airfreight forwarders are third-party brokers/operators who coordinate and manage cargo shipments for their clients. It is important for a forwarder to develop a shipment plan to evaluate the possible integrations and consolidations, to assess whether shipments can meet their respective target delivery dates, and to estimate the amount of costs involved. In this paper, we formulate a forwarder's shipment planning problem as a mixed 0-1 LP. Effects of integration and consolidation - on the timely delivery of shipments during any phase of the shipping process - are explicitly addressed. A forwarder's in-house capacity, as well as the available capacity of its partners and sub-contracting agents, are incorporated. We also consider the target cost for a shipment. Based on the special characteristics of the model, we design a customized tabu-search algorithm. We also provide an illustrative case to examine several managerial issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 193 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Logistics Shipment planning Mixed 0-1 integer program Tabu search Sensitivity analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tyan, Jonah C. & Wang, Fu-Kwun & Du, Timon C., 2003. "An evaluation of freight consolidation policies in global third party logistics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-62, February.
- Bookbinder, James H. & Higginson, James K., 2002. "Probabilistic modeling of freight consolidation by private carriage," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 305-318, September.
- Lokketangen, Arne & Glover, Fred, 1998. "Solving zero-one mixed integer programming problems using tabu search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(2-3), pages 624-658, April.
- Costamagna, Eugenio & Fanni, Alessandra & Giacinto, Giorgio, 1998. "A Tabu Search algorithm for the optimisation of telecommunication networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(2-3), pages 357-372, April.
- Ülkü, M. Ali & Bookbinder, James H., 2012. "Optimal quoting of delivery time by a third party logistics provider: The impact of shipment consolidation and temporal pricing schemes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(1), pages 110-117.
- Hui, Yer Van & Gao, Jia & Leung, Lawrence & Wallace, Stein, 2014. "Airfreight forwarder’s shipment planning under uncertainty: A two-stage stochastic programming approach," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 83-102.
- Leung, Lawrence C. & Wong, Wai Hung & Hui, Yer Van & Wan, Yulai, 2013. "Managing third-party logistics under uncertainty: A decision scheme and managerial implications," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 145(2), pages 630-644.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.