Tikhonov regularization for nonparametric instrumental variable estimators
AbstractWe study a Tikhonov Regularized (TiR) estimator of a functional parameter identified by conditional moment restrictions in a linear model with both exogenous and endogenous regressors. The nonparametric instrumental variable estimator is based on a minimum distance principle with penalization by the norms of the parameter and its derivatives. After showing its consistency in the Sobolev norm and uniform consistency under an embedding condition, we derive the expression of the asymptotic Mean Integrated Square Error and the rate of convergence. The optimal value of the regularization parameter is characterized in two examples. We illustrate our theoretical findings and the small sample properties with simulation results. Finally, we provide an empirical application to estimation of an Engel curve, and discuss a data driven selection procedure for the regularization parameter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 167 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Nonparametric estimation; Ill-posed inverse problems; Tikhonov regularization; Endogeneity; Instrumental variable;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Xiaohong & Pouzo, Demian, 2009. "Efficient estimation of semiparametric conditional moment models with possibly nonsmooth residuals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 46-60, September.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1999. "The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 300, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 2007. "Asymptotic Normality Of A Nonparametric Instrumental Variables Estimator," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1329-1349, November.
- Xiaohong Chen & Demian Pouzo, 2009. "Efficient estimation of semiparametric conditional moment models with possibly nonsmooth residuals," CeMMAP working papers CWP20/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Chen, Xiaohong, 2007. "Large Sample Sieve Estimation of Semi-Nonparametric Models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 76 Elsevier.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 2006. "Testing a Parametric Model Against a Nonparametric Alternative with Identification Through Instrumental Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(2), pages 521-538, 03.
- Sydney Ludvigson & Xiaohong Chen, 2004.
"Land of Addicts? An Empirical Investigation of Habit-Based Asset Pricing Models,"
2004 Meeting Papers
692, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Xiaohong Chen & Sydney C. Ludvigson, 2009. "Land of addicts? an empirical investigation of habit-based asset pricing models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 1057-1093.
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen, 2006.
"Nonparametric Transformation to White Noise,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2006/503, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1795-1843, November.
- S. Darolles & Y. Fan & J. P. Florens & E. Renault, 2011.
"Nonparametric Instrumental Regression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 79(5), pages 1541-1565, 09.
- DAROLLES, Serge & FLORENS, Jean-Pierre & RENAULT, Éric, 2002. "Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Cahiers de recherche 2002-05, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Serge Darolles & Jean-Pierre Florens & Eric Renault, 2000. "Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Working Papers 2000-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Darolles, Serge & Fan, Yanqin & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Renault, Eric, 2003. "Non Parametric Instrumental Regression," IDEI Working Papers 228, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2010.
- Richard Blundell & Joel Horowitz, 2004.
"A nonparametric test of exogeneity,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP15/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hoderlein, Stefan & Holzmann, Hajo, 2011.
"Demand Analysis As An Ill-Posed Inverse Problem With Semiparametric Specification,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 609-638, June.
- Stefan Hoderlein & Hajo Holzmann, 2008. "Demand Analysis as an Ill-Posed Inverse Problem with Semiparametric Specification," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 752, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen, 2005. "An IV Model of Quantile Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 245-261, 01.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Renault, Eric, 2007. "Linear Inverse Problems in Structural Econometrics Estimation Based on Spectral Decomposition and Regularization," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 77 Elsevier.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2002.
"Spectral Method for Deconvolving a Density,"
IDEI Working Papers
138, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2009.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2006.
"Nonparametric instrumental variables estimation of a quantile regression model,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP09/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2007. "Nonparametric Instrumental Variables Estimation of a Quantile Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1191-1208, 07.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2007. "Semi-Nonparametric IV Estimation of Shape-Invariant Engel Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1613-1669, November.
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Gourieroux, Christian, 2007. "An efficient nonparametric estimator for models with nonlinear dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 189-229, March.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Imbens, Guido W. & Newey, Whitney K., 2007. "Instrumental variable estimation of nonseparable models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 4-14, July.
- P. Gagliardini & O. Scaillet, 2006. "Tikhonov Regularization for Functional Minimum Distance Estimators," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 06-30, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Nov 2006.
- Xiaohong Chen & Demian Pouzo, 2008. "Efficient Estimation of Semiparametric Conditional Moment Models with Possibly Nonsmooth Residuals," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1640R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 2009.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Uniform Convergence Rates For Kernel Estimation With Dependent Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 726-748, June.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Xiaohong Chen & Timothy Christensen, 2013. "Optimal Uniform Convergence Rates for Sieve Nonparametric Instrumental Variables Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1923, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Xiaohong Chen & Demian Pouzo, 2008. "Estimation of Nonparametric Conditional Moment Models With Possibly Nonsmooth Generalized Residuals," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1650RR, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jan 2011.
- Breunig, Christoph, 2012. "Goodness-of-fit tests based on series estimators in nonparametric instrumental regression," Working Papers 12-13, University of Mannheim, Department of Economics.
- Xiaohong Chen & Timothy Christensen, 2013. "Optimal uniform convergence rates for sieve nonparametric instrumental variables regression," CeMMAP working papers CWP56/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Santos, Andres, 2011. "Instrumental variable methods for recovering continuous linear functionals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 129-146, April.
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simoni, Anna, 2012. "Nonparametric estimation of an instrumental regression: A quasi-Bayesian approach based on regularized posterior," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 458-475.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.