Tikhonov Regularization for Functional Minimum Distance Estimators
AbstractWe study the asymptotic properties of a Tikhonov Regularized (TiR) estimator of a functional parameter based on a minimum distance principle for nonparametric conditional moment restrictions. The estimator is computationally tractable and takes a closed form in the linear case. We derive its asymptotic Mean Integrated Squared Error (MISE), its rate of convergence and its pointwise asymptotic normality under a regularization parameter depending on sample size. The optimal value of the regularization parameter is characterized. We illustrate our theoretical findings and the small sample properties with simulation results for two numerical examples. We also discuss two data driven selection procedures of the regularization parameter via a spectral representation and a subsampling approximation of the MISE. Finally, we provide an empirical application to nonparametric estimation of an Engel curve.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss Finance Institute in its series Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series with number 06-30.
Length: 67 pages
Date of creation: May 2006
Date of revision: Nov 2006
MinimumDistance; Nonparametric Estimation; III-posed In-verse Problems; Tikhonov Regularization; Endogeneity; InstrumentalVariable; Generalized Method of Moments; Subsampling; Engelcurve.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yingyao Hu, 2006. "Identification and Inference of Nonlinear Models Using Two Samples with Arbitrary Measurement Errors," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1590, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- d'Haultfoeuille, Xavier, 2010.
"A new instrumental method for dealing with endogenous selection,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 154(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Xavier d'Haultfoeuille, 2008. "A New Instrumental Method for Dealing with Endogenous Selection," Working Papers 2008-23, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Scaillet, Olivier, 2012. "Tikhonov regularization for nonparametric instrumental variable estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 61-75.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.