On the distribution of estimated technical efficiency in stochastic frontier models
AbstractWe consider a stochastic frontier model with error [epsilon]=v-u, where v is normal and u is half normal. We derive the distribution of the usual estimate of u,E(u[epsilon]). We show that as the variance of v approaches zero, E(u[epsilon])-u converges to zero, while as the variance of v approaches infinity, E(u[epsilon]) converges to E(u). We graph the density of E(u[epsilon]) for intermediate cases. To show that E(u[epsilon]) is a shrinkage of u towards its mean, we derive and graph the distribution of E(u[epsilon]) conditional on u. We also consider the distribution of estimated inefficiency in the fixed-effects panel data setting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 148 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Stochastic frontier Technical inefficiency Estimated inefficiency;
Other versions of this item:
- Wei Siang Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2007. "On The Distribution of Estimated Technical Efficiency in Stochastic Frontier Models," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022007, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greene, William H., 1980. "Maximum likelihood estimation of econometric frontier functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-56, May.
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Greene, William H., 1980. "On the estimation of a flexible frontier production model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-115, May.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Waldman, Donald M., 1984. "Properties of technical efficiency estimators in the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 353-364, July.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Eduardo Fé-Rodríguez & Richard Hofler, 2009.
"Count Data Stochastic Frontier Models, with an application to the patents-R&D Relationship,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0916, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Eduardo Fé & Richard Hofler, 2013. "Count data stochastic frontier models, with an application to the patents–R&D relationship," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 271-284, June.
- Anup Bhandari & Pradip Maiti, 2012. "Efficiency of the Indian leather firms: some results obtained using the two conventional methods," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 73-93, February.
- Qu Feng & William Horrace & Guiying Laura Wu, 2013. "Wrong Skewness and Finite Sample Correction in Parametric Stochastic Frontier Models," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 154, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Shinji Yane & Sanford Berg, 2013.
"Sensitivity analysis of efficiency rankings to distributional assumptions: applications to Japanese water utilities,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(17), pages 2337-2348, June.
- Yane, Shinji & Berg, Sanford, 2011. "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency rankings to distributional assumptions: applications to Japanese water utilities," MPRA Paper 32892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gómez-Gallego, Juan Cándido & Gómez-García, Juan & Pérez-Cárceles, María Concepción, 2012. "Appropriate Distribution of Cost Inefficiency Estimates as Predictor of Financial Instability /La distribución de la ineficiencia estimada como predictor de inestabilidad financiera," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 1071 (12 pa, Diciembre.
- William C. Horrace & Christopher F. Parmeter, 2008.
"Semiparametric Deconvolution with Unknown Error Variance,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
104, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- William Horrace & Christopher Parmeter, 2011. "Semiparametric deconvolution with unknown error variance," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 129-141, April.
- Federico Belotti & Giuseppe Ilardi, 2012. "Consistent Estimation of the “True” Fixed-effects Stochastic Frontier Model," CEIS Research Paper 231, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 18 Apr 2012.
- Bellio, Ruggero & Grassetti, Luca, 2011. "Semiparametric stochastic frontier models for clustered data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 71-83, January.
- Wei Wang & Christine Amsler & Peter Schmidt, 2011. "Goodness of fit tests in stochastic frontier models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 95-118, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.