Capital regulation, bank competition, and financial stability
AbstractWe analyze capital requirements if banks compete for loans and deposits. Banks and firms are subject to a risk-shifting problem. The ambiguous effect of competition on banks’ risk-taking translates into an ambiguous effect of capital requirements on financial stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 113 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Bank competition; Capital regulation; Risk-shifting; Banking stability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Beck, T.H.L. & De Jonghe, O.G. & Schepens, G., 2011. "Bank Competition and Stability: Cross-country Heterogeneity (Replaced by CentER DP 2012-085)," Discussion Paper 2011-080, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Stefan Arping, 2012. "Banking Competition and Soft Budget Constraints: How Market Power can threaten Discipline in Lending," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-146/IV/DSF49, Tinbergen Institute.
- Beck, Thorsten & De Jonghe, Olivier & Schepens, Glenn, 2013.
"Bank competition and stability: Cross-country heterogeneity,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 218-244.
- T. Beck & O. De Jonghe & G. Schepens, 2011. "Bank competition and stability: cross-country heterogeneity," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/732, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Stefan Arping, 2014. "Does Competition make Banks more Risk-seeking?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 14-059/IV, Tinbergen Institute.
- Höwer, Daniel, 2013. "Corporate main bank decision," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-018, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Anginer, Deniz & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Zhu, Min, 2012. "How does bank competition affect systemic stability ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5981, The World Bank.
- Jeon, Jin Q. & Lim, Kwang Kyu, 2013. "Bank competition and financial stability: A comparison of commercial banks and mutual savings banks in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 253-272.
- Beck, T.H.L. & De Jonghe, O.G. & Schepens, G., 2012. "Bank Competition and Stability: Cross-country Heterogeneity (Revised version of CentER DP 2011-080)," Discussion Paper 2012-085, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Andreas Barth & Christian Seckinger, 2013. "Capital Regulation with Heterogeneous Banks," Working Papers 1310, Gutenberg School of Management and Economics, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, revised 19 Dec 2013.
- Ronald Fischer & Nicolás Inostroza & Felipe J. Ramírez, 2013. "Banking Competition and Economic Stability," Documentos de Trabajo 296, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.