Liquidity constrained exporters and trade
AbstractWe present a model of a risk-averse exporting firm subject to liquidity constraints. We show that preferences and expectations become important for optimum export and hedging decisions. Only firms that have sufficient financial resources can fully materialize gains from trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 111 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Liquidity constraint Trade Futures Hedging;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kit Pong Wong, 2003. "Export Flexibility And Currency Hedging," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 44(4), pages 1295-1312, November.
- Meng, Rujing & Wong, Kit Pong, 2007. "Currency hedging for multinationals under liquidity constraints," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 417-431, December.
- Broll, Udo & Eckwert, Bernhard, 2009. "Modelling information and hedging: The exporting firm," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 974-977, September.
- Guenter Franke & Richard Stapleton & Marti Subrahmanyam, 2004. "Background risk and the demand for state-contingent claims," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 321-335, January.
- Thomas Chaney, 2013.
"Liquidity Constrained Exporters,"
NBER Working Papers
19170, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1991.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1986. "International trade with forward-futures markets under exchange rate and price uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 83-98, February.
- Harald Battermann & Udo Broll & Jack Wahl, 2008. "Utility functions of equivalent form and the effect of parameter changes on optimum decision making," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 401-414, March.
- Lien, Donald & Wong, Kit Pong, 2005. "Multinationals and futures hedging under liquidity constraints," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 210-220, December.
- Broll, Udo & Eckwert, Bernhard, 2009. "Modelling information and hedging: the exporting firm," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 02/09, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Tim Adam & Sudipto Dasgupta & Sheridan Titman, 2007. "Financial Constraints, Competition, and Hedging in Industry Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(5), pages 2445-2473, October.
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1995. "Indirect hedging of exchange rate risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 667-678, October.
- Friberg, Richard & Wilander, Fredrik, 2008. "The currency denomination of exports -- A questionnaire study," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 54-69, May.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2011.
"Financial constraints, exports and monetary integration - Financial constraints and exports: An analysis of Portuguese firms during the European monetary integration,"
0039, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Jul 2011.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2011. "Financial Constraints and Exports: An Analysis of Portuguese Firms During the European Monetary Integration," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 34, pages 35-56, December.
- Filipe SIlva & Carlos Carreira, 2011. "Financial constraints and exports: An analysis of Portuguese firms during the European monetary integration," GEMF Working Papers 2011-13, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.