Liquidity constrained exporters: Trade and futures hedging
AbstractWe present a model of risk averse exporting firm subject to liquidity constraints. The firm enters an unbiased futuresmarket to hedge exchange rate risk and may not be able to satisfy high margin calls. Then the firm is forced toprematurely liquidate the futures position. We show that preferences and expectations become important for optimumexport and hedging decisions, i.e. separation theorem and full hedge theorem are violated. Furthermore, internationaltrade is affected, for only firms that have sufficient financial resources fully exploid gains from trade. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics in its series Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics with number 17/09.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
liquidity constraint; trade; futures; hedging;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Chaney, 2013.
"Liquidity Constrained Exporters,"
NBER Working Papers
19170, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friberg, Richard & Wilander, Fredrik, 2008. "The currency denomination of exports -- A questionnaire study," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 54-69, May.
- Meng, Rujing & Wong, Kit Pong, 2007. "Currency hedging for multinationals under liquidity constraints," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 417-431, December.
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1995. "Indirect hedging of exchange rate risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 667-678, October.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- Harald Battermann & Udo Broll & Jack Wahl, 2008. "Utility functions of equivalent form and the effect of parameter changes on optimum decision making," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 401-414, March.
- Lien, Donald & Wong, Kit Pong, 2005. "Multinationals and futures hedging under liquidity constraints," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 210-220, December.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1986. "International trade with forward-futures markets under exchange rate and price uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 83-98, February.
- Guenter Franke & Richard Stapleton & Marti Subrahmanyam, 2004. "Background risk and the demand for state-contingent claims," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 321-335, January.
- Manova, Kalina, 2008. "Credit constraints, equity market liberalizations and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 33-47, September.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Razin, Assaf, 1978. "A theory of international trade under uncertainty," MPRA Paper 22112, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.