Optimal interest rate policy during asset price booms: The mirage of 'benign neglect'
AbstractWe show that a policy of 'benign neglect' towards an asset price boom is not a sensible option when expectations are forward-looking. Policymakers choose between a policy that cuts real interest rates and one that raises them during asset price booms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 101 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Monetary policy Asset prices Credit crunch Boom bust cycles Forward-looking behavior;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Detken, Carsten & Smets, Frank, 2004. "Asset price booms and monetary policy," Working Paper Series 0364, European Central Bank.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1999.
"Monetary policy and asset price volatility,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q IV, pages 17-51.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1999. "Monetary policy and asset price volatility," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 77-128.
- Charles Bean, 2003.
"Asset prices, financial imbalances and monetary policy: are inflation targets enough?,"
BIS Working Papers
140, Bank for International Settlements.
- Charles Bean, 2003. "Asset Prices, Financial Imbalances and Monetary Policy: Are Inflation Targets Enough?," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Anthony Richards & Tim Robinson (ed.), Asset Prices and Monetary Policy Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Adam S. Posen, 2006.
"Why Central Banks Should Not Burst Bubbles,"
Working Paper Series
WP06-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Nouriel Roubini, 2006. "Why Central Banks Should Burst Bubbles," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 87-107, 05.
- Michael D. Bordo & Olivier Jeanne, 2002.
"Boom-Busts in Asset Prices, Economic Instability, and Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
8966, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bordo, Michael D & Jeanne, Olivier, 2002. "Boom-Busts in Asset Prices, Economic Instability and Monetary Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3398, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berger, Wolfram & Kißmer, Friedrich, 2013. "Central bank independence and financial stability: A tale of perfect harmony?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 109-118.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.