Competitive manufacturing with fluctuating demand and diverse technology: Mathematical proofs and illuminations on industry output-flexibility
AbstractI present an original model of competitive manufacturing with fluctuating demand and diverse technology with mathematical proofs. I discuss Aranoff's output-flexibility indicator, E(AC)-LRMC. I use the model to compute Aranoff's output-flexibility indicator to measure industry output-flexibility. I argue that a measure of industry output-flexibility is [beta]L(Q2 - Q1)/E(Q) I tie the demand-side discussion with the cost-side and show the degree of industry output-flexibility that will emerge under welfare and profit-maximizing pricing rules. I perform comparative statics of changes in technology, of demand, and of frequency of the high-peak state.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 28 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Capacity planning and investment Game theory Demand fluctuations Output flexibility Equilibrium Technology choice Cost curves Competitive manufacturing Marginal cost pricing Short-run average cost curve;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1972. "The Consumer Does Benefit From Feasible Price Stability," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 476-93, August.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1973.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
106, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Massell, Benton F, 1969. "Price Stabilization and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 284-98, May.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1972. "The Consumer Does Benefit From Feasible Price Stability: Rejoinder," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 500-503, August.
- Aranoff, Gerald, 1989. "Output-Flexibility and Diverse Technology," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 36(2), pages 141-59, May.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1973. "Production Flexibility, Price Uncertainty and the Behavior of the Competitive Firm," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 395-413, June.
- Hiebert, L Dean, 1989. "Cost Flexibility and Price Dispersion," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 103-09, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.